What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SS Barrack Room Lamp Shade

skull181

Here is a Lamp shade for a SS Barracks room. :proud:

It doesn't have any markings or stamps that I can see, but it does need a good clean :laugh:

It is from Germany and I think it's great....

Attachments

• SS Lamp 001 (800x600).jpg
    SS Lamp 001 (800x600).jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 58
  • SS Lamp 002 (800x600).jpg
    SS Lamp 002 (800x600).jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 69
  • SS Lamp 003 (800x600).jpg
    SS Lamp 003 (800x600).jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 57
  • SS Lamp 005 (800x600).jpg
    SS Lamp 005 (800x600).jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 55
More Pictures.

It must have been for a small room or hall...

Attachments

• SS lamp2 001 (800x600).jpg
    SS lamp2 001 (800x600).jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 13
  • SS lamp2 002 (800x600).jpg
    SS lamp2 002 (800x600).jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 10
  • SS lamp2 004 (800x600).jpg
    SS lamp2 004 (800x600).jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 12
  • SS lamp2 005 (800x600).jpg
    SS lamp2 005 (800x600).jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 15
Here is a Lamp shade for a SS Barracks room. :proud:

It doesn't have any markings or stamps that I can see, but it does need a good clean :laugh:

It is from Germany and I think it's great....

For many of us that have a passion for explosive ordnance, when displaying our collections or discussing with outsiders there is often a continuous struggle to explain our passion without having it mistaken for something it is not. It is a short step for many (especially outsiders) to see our interest in historic and technical ordnance artifacts and suspect related interest in subjects less savory, be they historical, political, ideological or otherwise. This forum has always maintained a strong separation here, normally without need for discussion or explanation. You will find that the vast majority of members here are here for their enjoyment of the technical and historical aspects of world munitions and related delivery systems. Other materials should be taken to other forums with groups of like minded individuals, they are not needed or appreciated here.

Hey Skull

Cool lampshade.

Not sure why it's generated such a kerfuffle. Don't see how anything about it as offensive. A very unique piece of history and interesting in its own right.

Thanks for posting the pics.

Rick

Not personally my sort of thing, though I know others have strong interest in this area.

I do have one question though, what makes you so sure it is an original SS item?
I would have thought that the design would be more 'accurate' and less of a tilt, if you know what I mean?
Are there any period photos of these?

Kev

I agree, but I have no more time for Stalin and his NKVD death squads than I do for the SS.

However, that is the most specious argument I have heard in a long time. Are you saying coming second is an excuse?

Oh, and to avoid any misundrestanding, I am a true blue Tory voter and Church of England too

Mods - What is this thread doing on an Ordnance forum?

TonyE

I completely concur with Tony & US-subs. Is this not an ordnance related collectors forum? Not sure what relevance a lampshade has. Whilst it is important to recognise the context of items/artefacts in a historical context, the fact that the Nazi Regime was pure evil should never be forgotten. From an Allied context, our forebears fought & many died to fight Nazi oppression. What would they think if they were reading a post on this forum that described items relating to the SS as "cool". Any right thinking person would not do this. Those that can refer to anything Nazi as such, really needs to look at what and why they are collecting.

I agree, but I have no more time for Stalin and his NKVD death squads than I do for the SS.

However, that is the most specious argument I have heard in a long time. Are you saying coming second is an excuse?

Oh, and to avoid any misundrestanding, I am a true blue Tory voter and Church of England too

Mods - What is this thread doing on an Ordnance forum?

TonyE

No, 2nd is no excuse but also does not allow to point fingers. I just agree with those before that it is what it is - a piece of history. But when one is showing German WWII 7.9 ammo with the runes noone is questioning it though these cartridges were explicitly made for killing and in particular for that organization while that lamp was just sheding light in somebodys house entrance. I think we do research ammo history and technical design and do not judge on who did what.
Also agree that this is not related to ordnance.

As the bumper sticker says: Just because you're offended doesn't make you right. It's a lamp shade. Make of it what you will, but when it's all over, it's still a "cool" lamp shade. PC run amok. Sad.

I disagree - I think it up to us to learn from history & is our duty to point fingers relating those that created and took part crimes against humanity, regardless of what regime they represented, who they were and any today that approve of the actions of those that did!. Unfortunately our interest in ordnance is often wrongly assumed to be related to glorifying the events that they are related to. I personally have questioned what I why I collect and am happy with what I do. For what it is worth, I am interested in the technical and historical aspects and do not relate them to a political or vocational interest in the regimes or governments the items relate to. I think we ought to agree this item is not ordnance related and maybe also the SS were not "cool".

As you all know I collect and research the butterfly bomb. As the wartime film states 'these bombs were designed for the sole purpose of killing people' - and with this in mind I would never refer to them as a glorified object, no matter how much they fascinate me in both design and historical perspective.
The lamp, which I personally believe to be more of an art deco piece than SS, is in itself an interesting item. However I think the real issue here is more the manner in which it is potrayed.
In comparison to the butterfly bomb, the lamp shade (despite what it may or may not signify) was a pretty harmless object, as an object.

again not ordnance, however.......... today I was given a letter that was sent to a father, informing him of his sons death in December 1942. Bomb Aimer - Sgt Basil Norris RAFVR (1335250), aged 19, of Wallington, Surrey. Below is a link to the aircraft and the tragic circumstances surrounding the death of all on board.

http://www.yorkshire-aircraft.co.uk/aircraft/planes/42/w7933.html

makes you think doesnt it? War is a horrible thing, lets not forget it........whatever we collect and of whatever nationality. Its nothing to gloryfy in, just very sad and lives cut short.

enough said

regards Kev

Ok time to chip in ,,ive not shut this post down because its posted in "members collections" not listed as ordnance and the lamp shade no matter what its origins art deco,3rd reich ,4th reich whatever is in skulls collection,
we have had non ordnance related posts in the past not listed as ordnance which have not caused any problems,,remember phils capri car restoration nobody carried on about that for been non ordnance related,
as long as this thread doesnt turn political or into a complete and utter shambles i wont be removing it
I just want everyone to try and get along together as you always have without falling out

allan