What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

British / German / Finnish Gun sight What is it ?

Gspragge

Premium Member
This is on Gunbroker, marked as British, copy of sight for German 7.7 96 N/a field gun, with SA on it and other
marks that look Finnish. Why the British designation ??? It certainly isn't a British dial sight !

Attachments

• pix497345811.jpg
    pix497345811.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 44
  • pix073903254.jpg
    pix073903254.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 45
Hi Gspragg,
It looks like a British dial sight to me, but the Dial plate appears to be missing, though I am not an expert. They were used on QF 18 pdrs amongst others no doubt. Cheers Gary

Finland used a few types of British artillery in and after WW2. This type of British origin panoramic sight have been available in surplus sales here quite regularly.

But to me this a German design, not British at all ?

This image is the British sight -

Attachments

• 275034856.jpg
    275034856.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 18
German sights exist a large variety of different types - why not British?

I've looked in my handbooks and as hangarman says, IF it is No7 MK2, then its missing the dial plate, also the section with the scale graduation is non standard.

As Tmine35 has put you find alot of these sights in Finland marked with British ,Russian and German makers but normally the user text is changed to Finnish