What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3" Mark 22 Greeting at Mess

SHAKY

Took a couple quick shots of the two 3" 50's which greet you at the entrance of the mess hall of Connaught ranges in Ottawa. The eldest is making us proud training for the summer.
Maybe in a few weeks we'll sneak over to what I think is a 105 H in the distance to have a look see.
connaught ranges 006.jpgconnaught ranges 004.jpgconnaught ranges 003.jpgconnaught ranges 002.jpg

To finish off, here's some pics of what I could find whilst attending the eldest daughters graduation at Connaught. The 105 H got bigger as I got closer. Nice Canadian made C1 How 155mm from the 50's. Other pictures include a Lynx APC, Cougar, Bren Gun Carrier, and a twin 3inch naval mount ?
Maybe someone recognizes it. Also the ammo amnesty box has been hanging around an awfully long time. It's originally for M513A2 Proximity fuzes from I think '58. I had no donations for the old can.
Connaught ranges are one of the premier ranges I think worldwide. Large, beautiful facility.
Cheers, SHAKY

Attachments

• cnght 023.jpg
    cnght 023.jpg
    302.8 KB · Views: 23
  • cnght 024.jpg
    cnght 024.jpg
    307.2 KB · Views: 26
  • cnght 001.jpg
    cnght 001.jpg
    267.8 KB · Views: 20
  • cnght 002.jpg
    cnght 002.jpg
    282.9 KB · Views: 20
  • cnght 003.jpg
    cnght 003.jpg
    330.9 KB · Views: 22
  • cnght 006.jpg
    cnght 006.jpg
    323.1 KB · Views: 22
  • cnght 007.jpg
    cnght 007.jpg
    317.1 KB · Views: 19
  • cnght 009.jpg
    cnght 009.jpg
    304.1 KB · Views: 20
  • cnght 010.jpg
    cnght 010.jpg
    312.1 KB · Views: 23
WHat are the exact designations of the tracked APC (not the Bren) and the 6-wheeled Piranha variant?

The Cougar and Grizzly are both based on the Piranha as an AVGP, the Cougar as a fire support vehicle and Grizzly as an APC. The lynx of course is a Canadian variant of the M113 APC which has been replaced by the Coyote. I'm not sure if this is the info you were looking for EOD, I really don't know the exact designation other than what information I gave. I can find out more if needed.
Cheers,SHAKY

Shaky, that were too many names at once.
Can you just mention the name of the depicted vehicles?
What caliber is the gun on the wheeled vehicle?

Photo 6: M113 1/2. This is based on the M113 and shares same chassis components but has only four road wheels and the engine in the back instead of the front. U.S. adopted the M114 to replace the M113's, Canada and The Netherlands bought the M113 1/2 and designated it the Lynx.

Photo 8: Cougar Fire Support Vehicle. 6 Wheels. Incorporating a British Scorpion turret, 76mm L23A1 Gun, 4 66mm smoke grenade launchers, and a coax 7.62 C6 GPMG ( FN MAG ).

Hope this helps. Cheers, SHAKY

Thanks a lot Shaky!
I always wondered about the M114 which seemingly never became as popular as the M113 (and I think the production numbers were rather low compared to the M113).
Does anybody happen to know why?