What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3inch Mortar bomb accessories info

Queensman3348

Morning all!
After some info please. I'm trying to get some mortar bombs i have cleaned up, sorted and completed.
Found some fantastic info on the augmenting charges on the site. But I'm trying to find info on the cover that was placed over the mortar bomb tail section.
Anyone have any idea of material and sizes? oh, And the proper name of course!

Hi Queensman 3348, They are made from a black coloured rubberised cotton with a length of white tape stitched on the outside that forms a loop to aid removal and tails to secure the cover to the fins. Will get some dimensions for you tomorrow. Cheers Gary

6 3/8 x 9 inches stamped , in white, IV over V.R.C over 3" MOR. over 1945 White tape stitched over edges with loop at bottom of cover, 13" long tape stitched to cover in the middle about 1 1/2" from the top.

IMG-20130805-00721.jpg

Cheers

Gary

If you look at US subs random ordnance pictures , page 9 you will see what looks like an American made 3" mortar round with an early mark of tail cover.

heres a Canadian one I got on the weekend,can get more if anybody wants one,also the metal cap that goes on the fuze

Attachments

• P1030776.JPG
    P1030776.JPG
    197.1 KB · Views: 30
  • P1030777.JPG
    P1030777.JPG
    168.2 KB · Views: 27