What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hedgehog Primer???

FNG61

Looking for help to ID primer device. Been carting this around to a few shows and seeing alot of head scratching(not a pretty sight) but not getting much in the way of answers. 1 3/4" across base x 1 5/8 tall. outside of base is marked; A.S.P. (Anti Submarine Projectile?) MK 2 /328379 / 2 43 / B.B.CO. U anchor S (US navy logo) LWM. The primer inside the base is marked; 25 / TS / BT / 42. Is this a hegehog primer?

Attachments

• primer1.JPG
    primer1.JPG
    22.3 KB · Views: 45
  • primer 2.JPG
    primer 2.JPG
    17.6 KB · Views: 28
The hedgehog used a .303 ballistite cart (Ballistite H Mk 1Z). The US used the hedgehog (UK design) and later the mousetrap which was rocket fired rather than spigot mounted for reduced recoil and the ability to employ it off smaller craft such as patrol boats.

The US hedgehog may have use a different primer and this could be it. From your description it sounds like the size of a shotgun cartridge base which would be consistent.

The more I look into this the more I am not sure I am correct. The Hedgehog didn't use a .303 cart the 4 in mortar did. I don't know what the hedgehog used. It did come in a Mk 2 version and the primer/cartridge was located up inside the stem of the spigot. I have some drawings, however they are a little unclear on the primer due to the size and quality. I have attached them anyway. If anyone wants better quality please let me know and I can email them.

Attachments

• Hedgehog  Mk 1 prac.jpg
    Hedgehog Mk 1 prac.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 73
  • Hedgehog  Mk 1 or 2.jpg
    Hedgehog Mk 1 or 2.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
Thanks for the schematics, first Ive seen of the hedgehog, and the rest of the information . I can see where this item might fit. It is substantialy larger than a shot shell base (rimless too)and is a heavy piece of brass. ATB Rob

The hedgehog used a .303 ballistite cart (Ballistite H Mk 1Z). The US used the hedgehog (UK design) and later the mousetrap which was rocket fired rather than spigot mounted for reduced recoil and the ability to employ it off smaller craft such as patrol boats.

The US hedgehog may have use a different primer and this could be it. From your description it sounds like the size of a shotgun cartridge base which would be consistent.

The more I look into this the more I am not sure I am correct. The Hedgehog didn't use a .303 cart the 4 in mortar did. I don't know what the hedgehog used. It did come in a Mk 2 version and the primer/cartridge was located up inside the stem of the spigot. I have some drawings, however they are a little unclear on the primer due to the size and quality. I have attached them anyway. If anyone wants better quality please let me know and I can email them.