Welcome to the Inert Ordnance Collectors.
    Thanks

Hedgehog Primer???

Looking for help to ID primer device. Been carting this around to a few shows and seeing alot of head scratching(not a pretty sight) but not getting much in the way of answers. 1 3/4" across base x 1 5/8 tall. outside of base is marked; A.S.P. (Anti Submarine Projectile?) MK 2 /328379 / 2 43 / B.B.CO. U anchor S (US navy logo) LWM. The primer inside the base is marked; 25 / TS / BT / 42. Is this a hegehog primer?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ordnance Approved
    Thanks
    The hedgehog used a .303 ballistite cart (Ballistite H Mk 1Z). The US used the hedgehog (UK design) and later the mousetrap which was rocket fired rather than spigot mounted for reduced recoil and the ability to employ it off smaller craft such as patrol boats.

The US hedgehog may have use a different primer and this could be it. From your description it sounds like the size of a shotgun cartridge base which would be consistent.

The more I look into this the more I am not sure I am correct. The Hedgehog didn't use a .303 cart the 4 in mortar did. I don't know what the hedgehog used. It did come in a Mk 2 version and the primer/cartridge was located up inside the stem of the spigot. I have some drawings, however they are a little unclear on the primer due to the size and quality. I have attached them anyway. If anyone wants better quality please let me know and I can email them.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by bombmonki; 20th June 2008 at 01:01 PM. Reason: correcting facts

Thanks
    Thanks for the schematics, first Ive seen of the hedgehog, and the rest of the information . I can see where this item might fit. It is substantialy larger than a shot shell base (rimless too)and is a heavy piece of brass. ATB Rob

Quote Originally Posted by bombmonki View Post
    The hedgehog used a .303 ballistite cart (Ballistite H Mk 1Z). The US used the hedgehog (UK design) and later the mousetrap which was rocket fired rather than spigot mounted for reduced recoil and the ability to employ it off smaller craft such as patrol boats.

The US hedgehog may have use a different primer and this could be it. From your description it sounds like the size of a shotgun cartridge base which would be consistent.

The more I look into this the more I am not sure I am correct. The Hedgehog didn't use a .303 cart the 4 in mortar did. I don't know what the hedgehog used. It did come in a Mk 2 version and the primer/cartridge was located up inside the stem of the spigot. I have some drawings, however they are a little unclear on the primer due to the size and quality. I have attached them anyway. If anyone wants better quality please let me know and I can email them.