What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

unknow item

It certainly looks like the item in the first picture, but is this the squid or the limbo? Pictures 2 and 3 show ASWs from the firepower museum which are labeled as Squids.

Cheers

Pete
12 inch squid anti submarine weapon.jpgSquid ASW different models.jpgSquid ASW.jpg

The item in the first picture looks unfuzed.

The difference might be that the second and third pictures show rounds with hydrostatic fuzes in place.

It might be worth contacting the Firepower Museum to see if they have any more information about the Squid

I would just like to thank everyone for their input and brilliant detective work.

Pete,

From what I can work out Squid and Limbo used the same depth charge. I think the difference in nose profile could be explained through difference in model, the item in photo three is marked as a Mk 6 and has a 1980 date of manufacture.

TimG

The item in the first picture looks unfuzed.

The difference might be that the second and third pictures show rounds with hydrostatic fuzes in place.

It might be worth contacting the Firepower Museum to see if they have any more information about the Squid

Glevum,

I think you've got it!!

Here's some info on the squid, including a couple of diagrams of the fuzing from the Mine Disposal Handbook 1945.

Cheers

Pete

Squid ASW info.jpgSquid fuzing.jpgSquid fuzing 2.jpg

It is a modern german depth charge mortar, since I am on holiday I am not able to get documentation on it but I will ask chris

Mk 4 Practice projectile/mortar

Good Morning, I think Blu-97 means this one. Practice projectile cq mortar Mk 4 for training personel firing the Anti-Submarine mortar Mk 10. total length 139 cm, Diamter 30,3 cm. It was used by the Dutch Navy. Regards, Chris

Attachments

• 303 mm Mk 4.jpg
    303 mm Mk 4.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 76
Pete,

From what I can work out Squid and Limbo used the same depth charge. I think the difference in nose profile could be explained through difference in model, the item in photo three is marked as a Mk 6 and has a 1980 date of manufacture.

TimG

I know that this is a very old post but I am the "New boy" here and still trawling through the old stuff. The main difference between the Squid and Limbo (Mortar Mark 10) was that the depth settings for the fuze were passed to the fuze by a cable on the Squid and via a needle and contact ring on the Limbo.

The squid cable was coiled up beneath a metal lid on the nose and was connected to a junction box on the outside of the barrel. The cable was cut off as the bomb was fired, a trailing length flew with the bomb. If bakelite muzzle covers were fitted to keep the weather out of the loaded barrels then the cable was passed through a rubber sealing grommet in the centre of the cap before connecting to the JB.

The Limbo bomb had an insulated metal ring around it below the curvature of the nose. This ring was connected electrically to the fuze and had a rubber sealing cover on the outside. The spring loaded needle pierced the rubber to make contact with the ring. A solenoid withdrew the needle as part of the firing sequence to prevent breakage.

There were practice light bombs and also heavy bombs. The practice "lights" (no fuze and flat nosed) were fired from the Mortar mark 10 with a light charge to give the same range as a heavy bomb with a full charge. Old squid cartridges were used, with a steel chamber adaptor, to shoot the light bombs. It was intended that these should float and be recovered for re-use. There was a "weep" hole in the nose, covered with a thin glass disc, which allowed the bomb to slowly fill with oggin and sink.

Very occasional errors were made with the Mortar mark 10 by firing a heavy (Live or practice) bomb with a light charge, one bomb landed on the forecastle deck and penetrated through a bunk in a messdeck. Conversely I watched six light bombs fired with heavy charges, goodness knows where they went, probably still going up!

gravelbelly