What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

unknow item

Buster

Ordnance approved
Premium Member
Can anyone identify the item in the attached pics?NK2.jpgNK.jpg

Thanks in advance

Buster

Is not a grenade !
And probably not an artillery shell because I don't see a place for a driving band.

Yoda

Unfortunately I only have the pictures, it is an item found in Donegal, Ireland which I have been asked to help identify.

I'm going to take a wild guess here and say you might have it upside down.

It's not a minenwerfer. It's really light compared to its size, made from thin steel.
Its possible to lift this quite easily.
i can tell you 100 things that this isn't, but not what it is! ;-)

Cheers

Pete

I was thinking that it resembled an oversized hedgehog anti-sub type weapon. The largest US one I know of was 7.2-inch, but I'm crap on Navy stuff and would have no idea about variants, experimentals, etc. I may be way off, but I've got a couple (7.2) in the garage that I'm helping to move for a local museum (they need holes in them), and the construction/design has similarities. Pete, what is the dia/length of the one you photographed?

Not sure Jeff, don't have the details to hand right now. I thought i posted it here before but can't find it.
Working on the ID of that bomb at the moment, i'll mail you later.

Pete

Here is a picture of the 7.2 for comparison. Different certainly, but some similarities as well. If I recall these have a plug in the nose which is similar to the plug on yours Pete (but on the other end).

Work computer is fighting me. Second time is the charm.

DSCN4851.jpg

The 7.2 items are usually very thin wall, like 1/8 inch or less. Minimum thickness for max explosive load.