What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Really Big Trenchart!!

Bockscar

Whereas I was never really into trench art in a big way, I thought that this one would look real good in a corner of the living room, mainly for the fact that the case itself is suspended from a ring by three German rifles on a large wooden base! Nicely engraved on the its side the details of which are in image 3.
The images come from a museum in Edinburgh which contains a number of artifacts once belonging to General Haig.
The case itself is German, naval in origin dated 1905 and carries the code 1719. As I have been unable to find which ordnance fired this case, I shall put up the question in the relevant section.

Bockscar.

DSC04747.jpgDSC04748.jpgDSC04753.jpg

Bockscar,

By the look of it I am guessing it would be from a German Railway gun, probably a 28cm. The cart should be 280mm X 1220mmR. Australians captured a gun on that date around Amiens, so I recollect! I know of about 10 of these cases here.

Regards Ozzi.

As the Mauser G98 is about 1250mm long, I think Ozzi is right, your cartridge is probably for the 28 cm SK L/40 "Bruno"

Regards,
Pascal

Last edited: