What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RPG protection system

EOD

We all (at least the interested amongst us) know the steel grid protection panels (invented by the Russians due to bitter experience in Chechnya in the 1990's) on vehicles which do short circuit the fuze systems of incoming regular PG-7 variants by deforming the outer nose cone and bend it inwards to make it touch the inner cone which is the other pole for the current created by the piezo on impact.

Now I just found a similar system using nets which obviously can do the same (kevlar?). Basically a good measure to save weight.
The video advertising this nest system is showing slow motion footage of the effect on a PG-7 where the bent outer cone is perfectly visible. I thought this is worth to watch.

Watch at 1:09 and 1:23.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8N3RV4-UPI

Unfortunately some newer versions (Russian and Chinese) do use internal wires as a conductor instead of the inner cone which can be manipulated well as we see.

In Viet Nam we use to put chain link fence around the front of our APC's and tanks. Did the same think when the PG7 hit the fence. But the PG7 would still detonate by its time delay, but by then the warhead was so screwed up no shaped charge was formed just a big bang. Though sometime the nose element would hit the chain link and go off, then the shaped charge would form but penetration on the front of our M48 tanks wasn't even noticed, but for the M 113 APC sometime the gun shield could get a slight penetration of the front slope of the APC might see some. A technique over forty years old being re invented.

I haven't seen any real technical data on it, but Peter Kokalis mentioned a few years ago that Israel had an electronic system that would deactivate the warheads and keep them from exploding. As I understood it, it was some type of EMI field generated around the vehicles.