What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Strange 37mm ?

Big Dave

HONOURED MEMBER RIP
Premium Member
No pictures to help at present ,but can anyone help ,the headstamp reads CN at 12 oclock ,36 at 3 ,N at 6 and 2 at 9 .Dimensions are 42mm across rim at base ,37mm at mouth and 155mm in length ,dont know wether its been cut or not [it doesnt seem very long to me ] ,regards Dave

For the marking CN I have : Lake City Ammunition Plant, Lake City, MO
It should be american !

Yoda

Thanks guys ,its straight and brass and quite heavy ,i will try to post some pictures later

Yodamaster,

Just a couple of notes:

You are correct in that Lake City Army Ammunition Plant (LC) (Lake City, Missouri, USA) did indeed use CN in a headstamp but it was on .30-06 (7.62x63mm) ammunition produced in 1953 for a special US Government contract.

As far as I know, no 37mm ammunition or components for same have ever been produced at LC. I believe the largest caliber ammunition ever produced at LC is 20mm.

So it is most likely that the CN in the headstamp on the 37mm case in question did not come from LC.

Brian

It is a French blank case for the 25 mm Hotchkiss AT gun. Dimensions are original.

I have the CN marking in my notes as "Ateliers mcaniques de normandie, Caen, France"