What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

76/55 ammunition box?

DEADLINE222

I assume it is an ammunition box; a very nicely made one at that. It has "No2 C.C.DA 76/55" all over it. What is it? Please don't tell me it once help Mexican made floor tiles or whatnot. :tinysmile_angry2_t: 76-55.jpg

Bit of a shot in the dark but could it be for Oto Melara 76mm rounds? The text on the box looks Italian? Just a thought.
Gary

Sweet!!!! I paid only $20.00 for it at a flea market that typically yields next to nothing. There appears to be little information thus far about the 76/55. Was this gun only used in World War 2? Is this box something that is seen as rare over your way?

The U.S. Navy adopted the Italian designed 76mm/62 caliber OTO Melara Mark 75 rapid fire gun in the early 1970's.

See: http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/911960.pdf 76MM AMMUNITION PROGRAM, QUARTERLY PROGRESS REPORT, 1 SEPTEMBER TO 31 DECEMBER 1972

So that could possibly explain why you found an Italian ammo crate in the U.S., possibly used for early test firing etc. Or not!!!

Also see: http://www.cartucheria.es/artilleria-.html and look at the ‘76 x 635mmR Oto Melara’ page to see various rounds of ammunition.

Two diagrams from the U.S.program report shown below.

Brian

Attachments

• 76mm 62 #1.png
    76mm 62 #1.png
    146.4 KB · Views: 15
  • 76mm 62 #2a.png
    76mm 62 #2a.png
    45.9 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
I do not believe this crate has never been used to store ammunition other than those indicated by markings, which indicate two 76/55 (again 17 pounder) AP ammo in individual containers.

So the path of this chest from Italy to the USA was necessarily different.

It should be noted also that weights and lot numbers are missing, so it's possible this crate was never actually used.

Regards
stecol

Last edited:
would the 'T' symbol on the top right side of the box denote tracer the same as on early(ish) English ammunition?

Tony

Yes, of course; Italian Army after WW2 used 6, 17, 25 pdr and 5.5 in. guns and used totally and/or partially the british marking system for their ammo, until NATO system was adopted.

Regards
stecol