What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

v1 argus pulse jet recovered from a forest

stu1976

hi all ive recently recovered from a forest in kent an argus pulse jet from a v1 crash site that looks like its not been touched since 1944, the jet unit is squashed flat through impact but is complete, the front section unfortunately come apart from the rear whilst excavating but is still a very impressive piece once laid out together, we also found most of one of the compressed air tanks, along with most of the forward mounting fork for the pulse jet, and what looks like a twisted cable cutter from one of the wings, plus a few more interesting pieces, all of it will need preserving as you can imagine 70+ years in the ground hasnt done it to many favours, but the pulse jet is in fairly solid condition complete with a cannon shell hole !!! we are going to give it a mild shot/bead blast and a good coat of rust treatment paint to save it from further deterioration pics to follow...

heres a few from the dig anyways.. you can see the cannon shell hole in the centre at the top as im holding it up..

Attachments

• CAM000091.jpg
    CAM000091.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 169
  • CAM000081-1.jpg
    CAM000081-1.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 146
  • 9891_10201988282572893_1298746427_n.jpg
    9891_10201988282572893_1298746427_n.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 159
  • CAM000071.jpg
    CAM000071.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 157
  • CAM000101.jpg
    CAM000101.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 157
Great find Stu1976, Did you stumble on it or did you go searching. I wonder how come it wasn't recovered during the war? Do you know the circumstances of its demise? Cheers Gary

hi hangarman, i stumbled across whilst looking for something else, but always new there was one in there somewhere from local rumours, unfortunately i dont know anything about the demise, but found an area in the woods not far from the v1 crash site where i found approx 10 spent british 20mm shell casings spread over an area all with the same breech/dent marks on them dated 1944 so would imagine possibly this had something to do with the v1,s demise....

hi hangarman, i stumbled across whilst looking for something else, but always new there was one in there somewhere from local rumours, unfortunately i dont know anything about the demise, but found an area in the woods not far from the v1 crash site where i found approx 10 spent british 20mm shell casings spread over an area all with the same breech/dent marks on them dated 1944 so would imagine possibly this had something to do with the v1,s demise....

Imagine if you could link up that info and identify the pilot/aircraft, pilot/squadron records might be one way to tie it all in.

would make an interesting museum display

yes spotter it will make a nice museum piece once cleaned and treated, and somehow mount the 2 pieces together as they were found in the ground, the front section is fairly crumpled due to impact but still has part of the sparkplug/igniter present, i will post some pics once it is cleaned and treated...

Imagine if you could link up that info and identify the pilot/aircraft, pilot/squadron records might be one way to tie it all in.

there was an airfield on romney marsh that flew tempests during this time as a defence against the v1,s, the airfield has long since returned to farmland but it would be nice to think that it was one of these that brought it down...

there was an airfield on romney marsh that flew tempests during this time as a defence against the v1,s, the airfield has long since returned to farmland but it would be nice to think that it was one of these that brought it down...

Newchurch probably. Mainly Typhoons who did a lot of the anti V1 work. John

Last edited: