What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unknown 8,8cm Flak

alpvogt

Ordnance approved

Hello everyone, I need some help with the identification of this German 8,8cm Flak projectile.That is now the third of this kind found in Switzerland on mountain shooting range in about 2600m altitude. I guess we me made trails with 8,8cm AA gun some years ago.

More interesting is the type of projectile, it has a massive bottom screwed in. It looks almost like a tracer. In 2005 some “experts” placed an explosive charge on the body, the result was the body just cracked open. Apparently no explosive material were inside.

The one wefound couple weeks ago I was able to safe.

The images of the video scope showed an empty internal pipe going from the fuze to thebottom. The body is still in ok condition, there is some red paint left on the top part.

I hope someone out there can help me with this mystery.

WP_20130913_006.jpgWP_20130913_001.jpgWP_20130913_002.jpgWP_20130913_005.jpg

Last edited:
Are you sure the one from 2005 is the same as the one in your first post?

Do you have a photo of the base of the one from 2005? To see if there are the same openings for the fuse?

Hi Alpvogt,

I have just a problem, I can't found anywhere a 8,8cm with the dimensions you give !

Now, with the internal configuration we can see on your second serie of pictures (open shell), I can say that it is the same configuration as different models of 8,8cm bung colour markers (red, white, black,...).
The pot on the base of the shell contained the coloured marking mixture.

Yoda

Hi Yoda

Thank you for the information so far. It was early in morning when I took the dimensions,I will make another try as soon I’m back in the office.

Do you mightsome drawings of this 8,8 B ?

Regards
alpvogt

Hi Alpvogt,

I have just a problem, I can't found anywhere a 8,8cm with the dimensions you give !

Now, with the internal configuration we can see on your second serie of pictures (open shell), I can say that it is the same configuration as different models of 8,8cm bung colour markers (red, white, black,...).
The pot on the base of the shell contained the coloured marking mixture.

Yoda

The base of the one found in 2005
IMGP0316.jpg

Are you sure the one from 2005 is the same as the one in your first post?

Do you have a photo of the base of the one from 2005? To see if there are the same openings for the fuse?