What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Berlin

451kr

Premium Member
Wil take a trip to Berlin any suggestions what is interesting to visit ???
Military shops, Antique shops, Museums??

Thanks in advance.

I don't know what Berlin is like now but I went there on a school trip in 1979 in the days when the wall was still up. What really stuck in my mind was the Olympic stadium, you could almost feel the atmosphere of times past. I recommend you go there. I also remember many of the famous buildings were pock marked with bullet damage and there were still bomb sites. That was 34 years after the war, now it is 34 years after I went, I expect a lot has changed. I hope to go back one day, its a great place. Can't help you with museums or military shops though.
Dave.

If you are interested in history, the "Festung Spandau" is worth a visit. That's where the "Feuerwerks Laboratorium" was situated. Many of the old Prussian fuzes and rockets were manufactured there. Spandau, a part of Berlin, used to be a garrison town in the 18th and 19th century. On my last visit, some years ago, they had an exhibition of some excellent artillery pieces of the 17th and 18th and early 19th century, extremely beautiful works of art of the master craftsman of old. Modern technology is not able to duplicate these metal casting skills of centurys ago. It's really worth a visit.
Bellifortis.