Welcome to the Inert Ordnance Collectors.

Thread: Berlin

Premium Member
    Thanks

Berlin

Wil take a trip to Berlin any suggestions what is interesting to visit ???
    Military shops, Antique shops, Museums??

Thanks in advance.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,513 Times in 646 Posts
    I don't know what Berlin is like now but I went there on a school trip in 1979 in the days when the wall was still up. What really stuck in my mind was the Olympic stadium, you could almost feel the atmosphere of times past. I recommend you go there. I also remember many of the famous buildings were pock marked with bullet damage and there were still bomb sites. That was 34 years after the war, now it is 34 years after I went, I expect a lot has changed. I hope to go back one day, its a great place. Can't help you with museums or military shops though.
    Dave.

Thanks
    You may try the air force museum in Gatow.

Thanks
    If you are interested in history, the "Festung Spandau" is worth a visit. That's where the "Feuerwerks Laboratorium" was situated. Many of the old Prussian fuzes and rockets were manufactured there. Spandau, a part of Berlin, used to be a garrison town in the 18th and 19th century. On my last visit, some years ago, they had an exhibition of some excellent artillery pieces of the 17th and 18th and early 19th century, extremely beautiful works of art of the master craftsman of old. Modern technology is not able to duplicate these metal casting skills of centurys ago. It's really worth a visit.
    Bellifortis.

Thanks
    Ruins of the Berlin Flak Towers. One is sort of intact, kind of, but not really. Still nice to see.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    This is a most interesting museum about bunker system in Berlin: http://berliner-unterwelten.de/ . Just a few hundred meters away are ruins of Humboldhein Flak tower.