What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Somme, September 2013

AMMOTECHXT

Ordnance approved
Premium Member
CNV00034.JPGCNV00048.JPGCNV00047.JPGCNV00046.JPGCNV00045.JPGCNV00044.JPGCNV00043.JPGCNV00042.JPGCNV00041.JPGCNV00040.JPGCNV00039.JPGCNV00038.JPGCNV00037.JPGCNV00036.JPGCNV00035.JPGCNV00049.JPGThis is an area I really enjoy visiting and it doesn't disappoint. Many of the fields have been harvested and things can be found. Photo 1 looks like a Stokes mortar bomb. Photos 2 to 7 were in the edge of a field next to a road. One of the items is a bent safety clip from a British 18 Pr cartridge case, still complete with black paint. Photos 8 & 9 are of an unfired shell, with my size 9 for an idea of scale - I suspect it may be a German shell but please correct me if I am wrong. Photo 14 is of a possibly British shell that was on a roadside verge near Delville Wood - it is possibly 8 inch diameter, note how small the fuze appears in comparison with the shell. Photo 15 is of some empty (shrapnel?) shell, possibly 18 Pr. Photo 16 shows pieces of driving band, shrapnel balls, probably the base plate of a fuze and a damaged but unfired 7.92 mm Mauser round. There was a fairly fresh tear in the cartridge case, through which I could see small squares of propellant. I left the round in the field where I found it. Photos 10 to 13 are of a memorial in the village of Flers to the British 41st Division that fought in the area in September 1916. This was of special relevance to me because my maternal grandfather would have known some of the men of 18 KRRC when he transferred to that battalion in July 1917, just in time for the Third battle of Ypres / Passchendaele.

Quote: Our daily work,

I do not know if one day we will be able to clean all
I'd be happy to give you a hand but I first need to be more knowledgeable about the ammo and about the procedures you use. I'm good for another 10 - 15 years. Regards from XT.

Great thread and excellent photos. I just love seeing WW1 ordnance in the bush. That Stokes mortar bomb especially stands out. Great work and buddy I wish I were there.............Dano

Hi

Impressive findings. So much dangerous ammunitions still coming back to the surface

Thanks for the post

Bernard