What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Identification assistance required

wilkia61

Attached found on an improvised air bomb in Africa.

It is likely to be Warsaw Pact or Chinese Fuze.

Arming vanes have obviously broken off on impact.

Can anyone ID it please.

Fuze width is 40mm or less.

That's all I have I am afraidNose Fuze Unidentified.png

I have found mortar fuses used on improvised aerial bombs in Africa (no arming vanes either). Often these just crash in as they aren't subjected to setback when dropped. Unfortunately I don't have access to my photo set from my current location, so I can't post a picture.

Keep an open mind when dealing with improvisations, not all components are being used in the role for which they were intended.

How large are these improvised aerial bombs, and what sort of aircraft are they dropped from?

How large are these improvised aerial bombs, and what sort of aircraft are they dropped from?

The ones I have dealt with were in the 75-100 kg range. They had no suspension lugs and were reported to be rolled out of the back of cargo aircraft!

Your photo converted to Jpeg image is 4Kb in size. That means it could be 24 times larger and still be allowed to fit on this site. When we try to enlarge it any bigger than a postage stamp it turns into a blurry blob.

The suggestion is: Go back to you source for a much better higher quality higher resolution photo.