What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New PP/C Cases

SHAKY

Just thought I'd share some new additions to the collection. Two 40 mm Bofors cases and a 75 mm M18 case. These came off the line of Pedlar People Ltd. (PP/C) in Oshawa. They've never been primed or filled. The Bofors share the same lot number also. And these would be the first driving band fragments to add to the collection. One is 14mm wide and thePP C and DB's 001.jpgPP C and DB's 002.jpgPP C and DB's 003.jpgPP C and DB's 004.jpg other 8mm wide. Any ideas of what they may be from ?
Cheers, SHAKY

Hi Shaky,

Good pick-ups. The Bofors cases are Mk III which I believe are very rare. Well that mark is very rare here in Australia - I have only ever found 1 Mk 3 case in years of collecting Bofors stuff - and most 40mm cases found here are British (RLB, ECC etc) or Canadian made (PP/C, AG/C etc). The Mk 3 case I found here is Australian made - "MC" Finsbury, Adelaide SA.

I do not know what the design change is for a Mk 3 case - or more correctly what the difference is for a Mk 4 case. A Mk 2 case has the large screw in primer with 3 tool locating recesses, whereas the Mk 3 has the smaller screw in primer with 2 recesses. I don't know what the difference is between Mk 3 and 4 as they appear identical. I would love to find out.

Cheers,

Graeme

Thanks for the info. I didn't know the differences had to do with the primers. Some things are a scarcity here too. I personally haven''t seen any Australian cases in these parts.
Cheers, SHAKY

Mk I Orthodox brass case, Takes No. 18 Primer only.
Mk I* Mk I case converted by enlarging primer hole to take on Adapter for No. 12 Primer. Takes either No. 18 Primer or Adapter with No. 12 Primer.
Mk 2 As Mk I* but of new manufacture
Mk 3 Canadian manufacture. Similar to Mk I but primer hole takes No. 12 Primer direct, without an adapter.
Mk 4 British Manufacture. Similar to Mk 3.

Thanks again Quartermass. If the Mk 4 is " similar " to the Mk 3, would that only mean that the Mk 3 is Canadian and the Mk 4 is the same except of British manufacture ?
Cheers, SHAKY

Patrick,

Here are the headstamps of a few cases I have. The Mk 3 is not just Canadian as shown by my "MC" (Finsbury, Adeaide, South Australia) case.

Both the Mk 3 and Mk 2 case with adapter to accept No. 12 primer are very rare cases here in Australia.

I am still not sure what the difference between the Mk 3 and Mk 4 cases are as both were made by MC here and look more or less identical to an amateur such as myself.

Cheers,

Graeme

Attachments

• MC Mk III.jpg
    MC Mk III.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 20
  • Mk II Canadian headstamp AG-C.jpg
    Mk II Canadian headstamp AG-C.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 21
  • 618864655_o.jpg
    618864655_o.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
The information on the cases comes from:
Appendix G, EMPTY COMPONENTS, Cartridge cases. User Handbook Anti-Aircraft Ammunition. 1949.

The information on the cases comes from:
Appendix G, EMPTY COMPONENTS, Cartridge cases. User Handbook Anti-Aircraft Ammunition. 1949.

Patrick,

Yes I see what you mean. Your information is virtually a literal transciption of the data on P69 of the handbook. (Handbook is available for download on this forum.)Clearly says that the 40mm Mk 3 case is Canadian manufacture (as demonstrated by Shaky's PP/C cases) and the Mk 4 is the British version.

Well that's got me stumped then - why would Australian manufacturer MC make both Mk 3 and Mk 4 cases if they were identical design wise?

Regards,

Graeme

Well that's got me stumped then - why would Australian manufacturer MC make both Mk 3 and Mk 4 cases if they were identical design wise?

That would seem to be a very good question!

I've looked through my British Bofors handbooks (1938 & 1941) and maintenance manual (1945) and there's no new information on the cases.

While the cases are similar they are not (according to the handbook) the same, perhaps slight manufacturing differences that suit different manufacturers/countries production methods?