What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Inert large bore ds collection

apfsds

Premium Member
For the last 15+ years I have tried to focus my collection to 100% INERT, large bore DS (Discarding Sabot) ammunition with a primary focus on inert tank fired DS specimens. Thanks to a lot of BOCN and IAA Members around the globe, my collection has grown a lot and I figured I would post a current photo :)

Jason

Attachments

• IMG_4827_zpsaa804ad5.jpg
    IMG_4827_zpsaa804ad5.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 51
Last edited by a moderator:
OMG! Awesome display. What's the one on the second to back row third from the left (very slim looking projectile).
Thanks.
Dave.

Good eye, Yoda :) That is an inert M831 TP HEAT round on the ground on the right side. There is also a sectioned M831 first row center.

Dave, attaching a pic of what I think you are inquiring about. If so, it is an OLIN 90MM APFSDS with an extremely long sub-projectile dart (longer then most 105MM & 120's). I have the same sectioned projectile to its left sitting inside a MECAR KEnerga MK V111 Gun System case. I was told it may have been a collaboration designed for that system but am having my doubts on it.

Attachments

• IMG_4843_zps0e247f86.jpg
    IMG_4843_zps0e247f86.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 13
Is there a torpedo thread here? I started one many years ago on the IAA Forum before it got hacked at which time it had well over 100,000,000 + viewers :)

Just realized a typo above :) The torpedo thread had over 100,000 views, not 100,000,000 :) Sorry

Hey you were only off by three zeros.

I recently read about a guy who opened his monthly bank statement only to find $4 trillion credited to his account by his bank. Needless to say the people at his bank were red faced after he reported the error.

Brian

Took a few more pics :) "ALL INERT"

Jason

Attachments

• IMG_4830_zps6c1b7b36.jpg
    IMG_4830_zps6c1b7b36.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_4837_zpsb901baa8.jpg
    IMG_4837_zpsb901baa8.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_4845_zpse93e0bca.jpg
    IMG_4845_zpse93e0bca.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_4846_zps6ae97d17.jpg
    IMG_4846_zps6ae97d17.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 19
Photos of some inert, 90MM APFSDS-T in my collection.

Jason

Attachments

• a_zpsb9a51856.jpg
    a_zpsb9a51856.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 11
  • b_zps956ba1e5.jpg
    b_zps956ba1e5.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 9
  • t_zpsfa5a9753.jpg
    t_zpsfa5a9753.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 8
That is an absolutely AMAZING collection! Bizarrely, it was a fair while ago but whilst researching my own Challenger 2 round that this pic cropped up on google and was what lead me to BOCN in the first place!

A question too, are there any rules / guidelines / laws on owning the DU cores? Are all yours dummy (apart from the Tungsten stuff obviously...) or are they completely safe and legal to own, genuinely no clue, only a lot of gumphf I read in the news about DU problems..

cheers
Steve

The photo I took years ago at the Museum of Military Technology in Nuremberg Germany.

Attachments

• 17.jpg
    17.jpg
    285.3 KB · Views: 111
Brian, the two longer 90's were made by OLIN in 1993. I am not sure if it was ever adopted for use here in the US. The shorter, 90 in the middle with the zebra stripe paint job was an early experimental. It was designed to go in an unusual brass 90MM case with an extra long shoulder and neck, very similar to Russian designed 105MM and 115MM tank cases. I do not think it was ever adopted? The short 90MM on the end with a single large hole placed in the forward end of each of the three sabot petals was designed by OLIN or Primex, I forgot which one. I have some factory literature on it but it is boxed up in storage ( going to be tearing down my old house to rebuild soon). I have seen an ad for what looks to be the same exact projectile fitted in a lacquered steel case made by Poongsan Corporation in S. Korea. No clue if it is a copy or made under license kinda thing?

Steve,
I have put a Geiger counter to all of my inert specimens and the ones type classified as having du cores show nothing. Being factory made display models, I believe they made them without their cores. DU is used in a lot of applications not just with ammunition. To the best of my knowledge it is stable and safe until it hits a target and becomes vaporized and breathable? I am sure there are some real experts on it here that could better answer this. I know there are constant advances is tungsten alloys that have improved AP performance in such a way it is very close to DU penetration without leaving a contaminated battle ground????? Many countries are replacing du ammo.

Jason

Fusse, that is a AWESOME picture! Thank you! I just saved it in my reference photo collection as there are some great DS items new to me pictured. Thank you!

Jason

Is there a torpedo thread here? I started one many years ago on the IAA Forum before it got hacked at which time it had well over 100,000,000 + viewers :)

Hi Jason,

Unfortunately there doesn't appear to be a thread on "Underwater Ordnance" which should include Torpedos and Sea Mines for starters.

(I did find your old thread (> 100,000 views) and have "bookmarked" it somewhere..... and will post it once I find it again.........)

Some of the early torpedo development is really interesting and quite a number of design variations came out, especially around the latter part of the 1800s - not a lot of documentation and especially photos are available - The Historic Naval Ships Association (HNSA) is a good source for Whitehead, Schwartzkopff and Howard torpedos:

http://www.hnsa.org/doc/index.htm#torp

To the BOCN Administrators /Moderators,

Would it be possible to set up a new Subject Thread on "Underwater Ordnance"?

Thanks

Cheers

Drew

Thanks, Drew!

I just added this beautiful, sectioned US,120MM KEW-A1 APFSDS-T tank round to my collection of 100% inert tank fired DS specimens :) To the best of my knowlege, the KEW-A1 appears to be a copy of the German DM43-A1 120MM APFSDS-T round.

Jason

Attachments

• KEW-A1Sectioned120_zps445918eb.jpg
    KEW-A1Sectioned120_zps445918eb.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 12