Welcome to the Inert Ordnance Collectors.
    BOCN Supporter
    Images
    Thanks

WARNING - Imperial War Museum London

Good evening all,

Thought I would just warn anyone who is planning a visit to the Imperial War Museum soon. I took my son there for his Birthday today without checking it out first. They are going through a major refit at the moment meaning that the whole main part to the museum is out of bounds. There are no planes , tanks or big stuff to see at the moment. The worst thing too.....the trench wasn't open either! Also no V2 or V1's, no grenades, air dropped bombs, field guns or anything!

The only part that was open was the new area that covers three floors, though small. I covers London war time, holocaust and a fantastic section on SOE (very impressed with this room actually, and certainly worth a visit when the rest opens).

Due to be completed end of summer 2014.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pointblank0 For This Useful Post:

beihan62 (8th October 2013), navyman (5th November 2013), SG500 (8th October 2013)

Premium Member
    Images
    Thanks
    Shoot!!! I was planning visiting this museum end of this year ;-(. Londen is already planned, so I will have to go back.
    Ignorance is bliss.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Rob . That's a shame but those refurbs have been well advertised . Most of the big stuff has been moved to Duxford for the time being .

BOCN Supporter
    Images
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoeksel View Post
    Shoot!!! I was planning visiting this museum end of this year ;-(. Londen is already planned, so I will have to go back.
    Maybe have a look at the Hendon RAF museum (near Colindale) Easy to get to from Imperial War Museum area. Really great museum and worth a visit.

BOCN Supporter
    Images
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by siegfreid View Post
    Rob . That's a shame but those refurbs have been well advertised . Most of the big stuff has been moved to Duxford for the time being .
    I was kicking myself today. I usually check up on everything well in advance. I was completely unaware. If I had just bothered to look at their web site the day before, I would have been saved.

Never mind though, will be good when it's back open. I'm aiming to go back as soon as it's complete.

Thanks
    Sounds like the situation in the german military museum in Dresden with the exception that it is the actual situation since after the last refurbishment (what a shame). I hope the same won't happen to the IWM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Alpini For This Useful Post:

pointblank0 (8th October 2013)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    These were on display when I went there a few weeks ago. New items? Haven't seen them before at the IWM.
    Attached Images Attached Images

BOCN Supporter
    Images
    Thanks
    Oh yes. They are new items I believe. I think that whole section and items are new to the museum. How did you find the SOE exhibition?