What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

35x228 new cartridges

pzgr40

Premium Member
I bought these three 35x228 cartridges today.

The red painted catridge on the left has the text 'autofrettage' painted on. I think this points out the productionmethod of the projectile, either the barrel type to be used;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autofrettage

The middle one is most probably South African practice, however I am not shure.

The left one I was told is a frangible, however I am not shure about that too.

Who can help me on the correct designation and purpose,

Thanks in advance,
Regards, DJH

Attachments

• 25x228 nov 2013-1.JPG
    25x228 nov 2013-1.JPG
    174 KB · Views: 135
  • 35x228 nov 2013-2.JPG
    35x228 nov 2013-2.JPG
    168.9 KB · Views: 65
The middle one is not a practice but a reference (ballistic standard) as the "REF" and the purple color are indicating.

Hi X, Ballistic reference; what does that mean? Does it have a precise weight or dimensions? Or is it to calibrate sights and projectile flightpath?

Thanks in advance,

Regards, DJH

Derk, a ballistic standard or reference round is matching the set ballistics to the best possible ability. The projectiles and cases are normally standard items.

These rounds are used in a variety of applications where for example prototype weapons are tested or for simple things like zeroing.

Thanks EOD,
that's what I wanted to know.
Does anybody have info about the Right cartridge?

Regards, DJH

three more 35x228 cartridges

Three more 35x228 cartridges of which I have no type designation.

I have no clue about the left one. The sabot and nosepiece are aluminium made. The drivingband is white nylon. It may be a test model, a drivingband test, a half product, a fake in the worst case, although I doubt the latter.

The middle one seems to be a sabot test either a penetrator shape test. I've seen a couple around on collectors meetings and auctioning forums, so it could be a known type.

The right one supposedly is a driving band test, using a plastic drivingband.

If anybody has any info regarding these cartridges like type designation, nomenclature or country of origin, please let me know

Thanks in advance,
regards, DJH

Attachments

• 35x228 new cartridges.jpg
    35x228 new cartridges.jpg
    276.6 KB · Views: 72
  • 35x228 projectiles.jpg
    35x228 projectiles.jpg
    293 KB · Views: 49
  • 35x228  aluminium projectile drawing.jpg
    35x228 aluminium projectile drawing.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 38
Some new and interesting addittions to the -still growing- 35x228 Oerlikon collection:

-TPGID ; a subcalibre round for the 105 and 120mm tank guns
-Temperature gauge cartridge; to measure the temperature of powder
-The M1A1 B87 Drill
-An experimental Dutch manufactured APDS.

Regards, DJH

Attachments

• 35x228 TPGID, Temperaturmesspatr., Drill, APDS.jpg
    35x228 TPGID, Temperaturmesspatr., Drill, APDS.jpg
    186.2 KB · Views: 72
A very nice and interesting addition to the 35m collection is this 43cm long model of a GDF-001 gun I got yesterday. As I found out during miror repairs, it it not a kit model, but a machined pertinax and sheet steel custom build precision model. The wheels can be turned upward and blocked, the discs on which the gun stands can be screwed down as to show the gun in it's working position.

Regards, DJH

Attachments

• 01 - GDF 001 transport.jpg
    01 - GDF 001 transport.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 32
  • 02 -  GDF 001 firing posiion.jpg
    02 - GDF 001 firing posiion.jpg
    165.6 KB · Views: 26
  • 03 - GDF 001 firing position.JPG
    03 - GDF 001 firing position.JPG
    289.4 KB · Views: 28
I suppose so. I think it was offered to potential clients who were on the brink of buying these guns. I can see however they are hand made piece by piece by a special model maker in tokyo. It is exactly the GDF-001 Japan bought.

Regards, DJH

Three more 35x228 cartridges of which I have no type designation.

I have no clue about the left one. The sabot and nosepiece are aluminium made. The drivingband is white nylon. It may be a test model, a drivingband test, a half product, a fake in the worst case, although I doubt the latter.

The middle one seems to be a sabot test either a penetrator shape test. I've seen a couple around on collectors meetings and auctioning forums, so it could be a known type.

The right one supposedly is a driving band test, using a plastic drivingband.

If anybody has any info regarding these cartridges like type designation, nomenclature or country of origin, please let me know

Thanks in advance,
regards, DJH

Hi Derk,
Did you ever find out where the middle one (the white sabot) came from and what the purpose was? I bought the same one in Landhorst yesterday and have trouble finding any info on it.
Thanks,

An interesting addition tot he collection are these two 35x228 shells; Left the AHEAD (Advanced Hit Efficiency and Destruction), also named KETF (Kinetic Energy Time Fuzed), on the left the practice version of the AHEAD.

The AHEAD cartridge is available in the 30 and 35mm calibres and is a sort of modern version of the time fuzed shrapnel shell. In the Muzlle brake, two coils are installed which measure the speed of the projectile , followed by a coil at the end of the muzzle brake that sets the fuze in miliseconds by means of an electric pulse. The radar of the system has tracked the speed an trajectory of the airplane, missile, rocket, shell or mortar and calculates the lead and sets the fuze at the moment it leaves the muzzle brake. The shell is activated approximately ten metres in front of the target, spewing out a predictable cone of tungsten metal cilinders that will hit the target, damaging or destroying it.

The weapon is not only suitable for air defence tasks, but is also used in the CV90/35 armoured vehicle of the Dutch army. The shells are also suitable for usage aganst tanks -destoying sighting equipment, active armour and antennas -, but also against unarmoured vehicles and infantery. The shell can also be used against lightly armoured vehicles by not setting the fuze; the complete package of 152 tungsten cilinders acts as one armour penetrating projectile.

Regards, DJH

Attachments

• 35mm ahead.jpg
    35mm ahead.jpg
    253.5 KB · Views: 26
  • single AHEAD round impact pattern.JPG
    single AHEAD round impact pattern.JPG
    134.8 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
A better quality picture of the effect in air-burst mode against an aluminium alloy plate. Plus the effect of the 35 mm ABM/KETF projectile against a 50 mm steel plate when set to anti-armour mode.

35 mm x 228 ABM-KETF subprojectile impact pattern.jpg35 mm AHEAD in anti armour mode (55 mm plate).jpg

I've got another good image of the after effects of one of the 35 mm projectiles set to anti-armour mode after hitting an aluminium-hulled APC, but I don't seem to be able to find it?