Welcome to the Inert Ordnance Collectors.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pzgr40 View Post
    Three more 35x228 cartridges of which I have no type designation.

I have no clue about the left one. The sabot and nosepiece are aluminium made. The drivingband is white nylon. It may be a test model, a drivingband test, a half product, a fake in the worst case, although I doubt the latter.

The middle one seems to be a sabot test either a penetrator shape test. I've seen a couple around on collectors meetings and auctioning forums, so it could be a known type.

The right one supposedly is a driving band test, using a plastic drivingband.

If anybody has any info regarding these cartridges like type designation, nomenclature or country of origin, please let me know

Thanks in advance,
    regards, DJH
    Hi Derk,
    Did you ever find out where the middle one (the white sabot) came from and what the purpose was? I bought the same one in Landhorst yesterday and have trouble finding any info on it.
    Thanks,

Thanks
    Thanked 2,507 Times in 539 Posts
    An interesting addition tot he collection are these two 35x228 shells; Left the AHEAD (Advanced Hit Efficiency and Destruction), also named KETF (Kinetic Energy Time Fuzed), on the left the practice version of the AHEAD.

The AHEAD cartridge is available in the 30 and 35mm calibres and is a sort of modern version of the time fuzed shrapnel shell. In the Muzlle brake, two coils are installed which measure the speed of the projectile , followed by a coil at the end of the muzzle brake that sets the fuze in miliseconds by means of an electric pulse. The radar of the system has tracked the speed an trajectory of the airplane, missile, rocket, shell or mortar and calculates the lead and sets the fuze at the moment it leaves the muzzle brake. The shell is activated approximately ten metres in front of the target, spewing out a predictable cone of tungsten metal cilinders that will hit the target, damaging or destroying it.

The weapon is not only suitable for air defence tasks, but is also used in the CV90/35 armoured vehicle of the Dutch army. The shells are also suitable for usage aganst tanks -destoying sighting equipment, active armour and antennas -, but also against unarmoured vehicles and infantery. The shell can also be used against lightly armoured vehicles by not setting the fuze; the complete package of 152 tungsten cilinders acts as one armour penetrating projectile.

Regards, DJH
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by pzgr40; 9th December 2019 at 06:54 AM.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pzgr40 For This Useful Post:

doppz92 (9th December 2019), ron3350 (9th December 2019)

Thanks
    A better quality picture of the effect in air-burst mode against an aluminium alloy plate. Plus the effect of the 35 mm ABM/KETF projectile against a 50 mm steel plate when set to anti-armour mode.

35 mm x 228 ABM-KETF subprojectile impact pattern.jpg35 mm AHEAD in anti armour mode (55 mm plate).jpg

I've got another good image of the after effects of one of the 35 mm projectiles set to anti-armour mode after hitting an aluminium-hulled APC, but I don't seem to be able to find it?

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eggburt1969 For This Useful Post:

bacarnal (9th December 2019), pzgr40 (9th December 2019)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12