What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ammunition Laboratory Tools

pedro

Ordnance approved
Couple of odds and ends from my tool collection.
The first is a set of bronze magazine scissors. dated 1882 and from the Phosphor Bronze Company of Southwark (now part of http://www.leedsbronze.co.uk). These scissors were part of the the equipment of the coastal artillery of the Queensland Defence Force (pre Australian Federation)

The second is a tool for rounding out vickers belts for reloading

IMG_4840.JPG
IMG_4826.JPGIMG_4828.JPGIMG_4827.JPG

Tony,
WD with the broad arrow. The scissors were manufactured in UK and procured by UK War Office.. only later to be issued to Queensland and then locally stamped QDF

I remember seeing a similar pair of brass scissors in the 1980s, don't know if they were as old as yours. I also remember seeing a `magazine knife', having a brass blade and wooden handle. I seem to remember that I used them on bagged propelling charges, with a curved brass needle - cutting off caked gunpowder igniters and replacing them with new ones. That was a one-off job over 30 years ago. Never seen any since.