What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ID on French submunition

EOD

Can anybody provide an ID on this French dummy submunition?

Attachments

• ID.JPG
    ID.JPG
    25.4 KB · Views: 90
It is one of their M42 clones, 120mm mortar delivered. I believe it is called the Ogre. Cannot get into my notes until tonight. Looking for a dummy if you find any extras....

It looks like the Ogre. I have it coming out of a 155MM GIAT G1 Porjectile.

Interesting markings. I haven't seen an image of one with the LOT code before.

Joe

Gents, thanks a lot! So it is as suspected used with artillery projectiles, maybe in different calibers.

The wider diameter section at the "open" end makes the design a bit unusual.

Hello,

The larger diameter at the base seems to be used to cover the following grenade in the shell.

You can see the same shape in this 155mm OGRE G1 :

155mm OGRE G1.jpg155MM OGRE G1 picture.jpg

And example of French 120mm mortar OGR with M42 grenades (different as yours)

120 ogr.jpg120 ogr coupe.jpg

Cheers

Thank you for the images.

The system of stacking inside the shells I know but we are all more used to the US system which does not need such a feature.
Hence my question why such a complicated design was choosen.

The system of stacking inside the shells I know but we are all more used to the US system which does not need such a feature.

I don't konw.

Here some more pictures.
Regards, DJH

Attachments

• S-Heat frag-Fr -01.JPG
    S-Heat frag-Fr -01.JPG
    234.3 KB · Views: 51
  • S-Heat frag-Fr-02-sec.JPG
    S-Heat frag-Fr-02-sec.JPG
    227.6 KB · Views: 66

Possibly to do away with internal spacers? Just a guess. Cheers, Bruce.

When the M46 is stacked in a 155 mm carrier projectile, (circular array of seven, one center row, all stacked 11 high) the central row has a spacer around it, assembled of two white nylon halve scales (180 degrees) that fills up te space between the outer circular array and the center row. With these French submunitions that are wider at the base, the submunitions fill the total internal diameter of the carrier projectile, therefore the spacer halves around the center row are not needed anymore, as well as most other spacers that can be left away. The only three longitudal rows of spacers required are the spacers that fall into the longitudal slots in the inside of the carrier projectile and prevent the submuntion package inside the carrier projectile from rotating compared to the projectile body.

Regards, DJH

Last edited:
Does anyone have anything on the fuze? It looks like the M42 style, but I would like to verify it.

Joe

There are two types of submunition, one short and one long. Submunition of the photo above is just outside of the shell, the one below is in the center of the shell.
The centrifugal force removed the centrifugal lock, when the submunition is ejected, the inertia lock back. The firing pin unscrews and the drawer with primer detonator moves. The self-destruct system is initiated.

Sans titre-1 copier.jpgCapt-848357.jpgCapt-1036131.jpgCapt-1036132.jpgP1030372.jpg