What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Artillery projectile borne submunitions

EOD

Here some different types.

US types M80, M42, M46
projectilebornesubmunitions_USA_zps911c1a45.jpg

Last edited:
Here Israeli ones, partially experimental. All from Rheinmetall trials.

projectilebornesubmunitions_Israel_zps47701d38.jpg

Last edited:
Here the French type, an unknown one (orange, can anybody provide an id?) and three Rheinmetall types.

projectilebornesubmunitions_France_unknown_3xRheinmetall_zpsaa4c2144.jpg

Last edited:
Here a comparison of all of them to show the different designs and sizes.

projectilebornesubmunitions_various_zpsd5938c73.jpg

Last edited:
Well, I read somewhere (a manual?) that the yellow band is denoting the M46. Is that incorrect?

I don't know, I've never heard that before. I've seen M46s with that marking, and have one, but generally unless for display there is no marking or external difference between models. Markings (colored bands) and different colors are generally for pattern testing with inert or Phase 1 (live det only) testing. I suppose it might serve a purpose for the factory, but otherwise? Here is my contribution from the Bombatorium. Wide ribbons are M77s.

DSCN5075.jpgDSCN5076.jpgDSCN5077.jpgDSCN5078.jpgDSCN5079.jpgDSCN5080.jpgDSCN5081.jpgDSCN5082.jpgDSCN5083.jpgDSCN5084.jpg

Great stuff you got there!

The one in my image has also an inert fuze (stamped as such separately). So I do not know what is correct now.

Here two experimental Czech submunitions. I do not have a type designation. The bigger one (with ribbon) is approximately the same size as the DM1385A1, the smaller one has the size of the M42/46/77.
After release from the carrier shell the outer sheet metal pipe piece is pushed outward together with the impact fuze. This forms the optimum standoff for penetration.
Looking at the long silk ribbon I suppose it is meant for a low speed weapon, like a mortar or a rocket. For artillery shell expulsed submunitions (higher speed) a smaller ribbon will do.
Any further info about these submunitions is welcome.

Regards, DJH

Attachments

• 01 - Czech submunitions.jpg
    01 - Czech submunitions.jpg
    285.8 KB · Views: 70
  • 02 - Czech submunition with standoff sleeve.jpg
    02 - Czech submunition with standoff sleeve.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 67
  • 03 - Czech submunition fuze safe.jpg
    03 - Czech submunition fuze safe.jpg
    288.2 KB · Views: 51
  • 05 - Czech submunition impact.jpg
    05 - Czech submunition impact.jpg
    264.4 KB · Views: 41
  • 04 - Czech submunition fuze arming.jpg
    04 - Czech submunition fuze arming.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 48
thanks DJH, I've been looking for this one or some time now. I have to find it but some where in my subs files, I have a drawing of this sub that says it is a Soviet design. Deployed from 15mm projectile

In fact it was a Czech/Sov collaboration. The Czechs said that they could never get the fuze right, it was just too sensitive. They backed out and they say that the Sovs continued with it. I'd have to pull my notes tomorrow, but it was called something like Tvornik. I never was able to pronounce it. The small size was for 122mm rocket, the large was for 152mm projo. I spent a couple of days with one of the former engineers on the project, he gave me mine.

I would have a few question and think they fit in here best.

German Bundeswehr used (amongst others)

DM1348
DM1383
DM1385(A1) Subs

As far as I know IMI produced DM1348 (IMI licence) and DM1383 & DM1385 where also produce from IMI under licence from Rheinmetall. Is that correct?

Thanks a lot

Last edited:
IMI and Rheinmetall had a joint development. Details are hard to find. Both have tons of patents on this but the ones we know being in German Service look very much like what IMI had in it's patents.

We were told that the different bands/rings of color were for dispersion identifying where the submunition was located in the carrier during testing vs. where it was on the target (ground).

Dear EOD,
Please can you further identify IMI-Is it the British company Imperial Metal Industries, or is it E.M.I, or another German company? I cannot locate the "Tons of patents" Many thanks-Sprockets.

IMI and Rheinmetall had a joint development. Details are hard to find. Both have tons of patents on this but the ones we know being in German Service look very much like what IMI had in it's patents.

Someplace I have an IMI flyer on the sub identifying that they were at that time producing the sub for both Germany and Romania.