What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2 PR S.C. case marked 40M/M

Quatermass

Picked up an unusual 2 PR S.C. (40x157R) case recently.
Its the first 2 PR case I've seen marked 40 M/M. Have any other members seen any similarly marked?

40x157 SC case.jpg40x157 SC.jpg

Finland purchased a few of these guns for navy in 1930's. Cases were made in Finland and they are marked 40 M/M as well.

Have been looking for one for over40 years, not even shure if there was one. One more photo for the scrap book. Thanks for shareing. Frank.

In addition, I am aware of Polish cases exported by Vickers Armstrong UK to Poland somewhere between 1930-1940.

In addition, I am aware of Polish cases exported by Vickers Armstrong UK to Poland somewhere between 1930-1940.

That must have been earlier as documented components of these cartridges are dated 1929.

I know for a fact they exist as 1938 manufactured.

Attachments

• 1856683321.jpg
    1856683321.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 76
Poland, I have seen many from Poland (also on Ciney fair) but till now no good quality case unfortunately.

Actually, now that I think about it, VA also exported a lot to Spain with comparable headstamps.

Just seen this thread whilst searching for something else!

What does the "S.C." stand for, and why is it on this post-war (presumably export) case, and not the earlier one shown?

Roger.

Never thought of that; - I was hoping it might be "S" Class, but I suspect that the S-guns were phased out much earlier than than 1952.
Being stamped 40mm (rather than 2-PR) probably suggests export, but if so, why aren't the initials for "sub calibre" taken from the language of the importing country? Also, which gun would it have been a sub-calibre for?

Roger.