What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

.303 British API, Brazil?

bdgreen

Twenty round boxes of .303 British with API projectiles are available in the U.S. The bullet tip color code is silver and the box says BRASIL. Is this a legitimate factory/contract loading or is this a situation where the original bullets were pulled and replaced with API bullets to make gun show "specials"? This is not in my possession so I cannot provide any further info.

Photo attached.

Any input/information is appreciated!

Brian

PS: Just realized I put this in the wrong category so if a moderator wants to move this to small arms ammunition please do so, thanks!

Attachments

• .303 API Brazil.jpg
    .303 API Brazil.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:
I have never seen any genuine API loads in .303 inch British (other than a very rare British WW2 experimental which had a black tip)

Looking at the picture I would say they are definitely reloads as the bullet seems too deeply seated. It would be nice to know the headstamp as well.

Regards
TonyE

TonyE,

Thank you for your "faster than a speeding bullet" response.

Your input confirms my suspicions on this. That is I suspect someone may have pulled the original projectiles and reloaded the .303 cases with U.S. .30 M14 API projectiles.
Reloading U.S. .30/7.62mm/.50 BMG Tracer or API projectiles obtained from broken down ammunition into other cartridges (7.62x39mm, 7.62x54mmR, .303 British, .50 BMG etc.) to "create" "exotic" loads for sale at gun shows is all the rage here in the U.S.

It would be interesting to see the box and HS but at $40 a box for refabricated ammunition I'm not certain I'm that interested. IF anyone else cares to indulge here is the web address: http://www.cdvs.us/303-British-API-ammo-20-round-box-P444.aspx

Brian

Or possibly API projectiles from 7.62 x 39 ?, as this is a better fit for the .303 rifling.

True, but Eastern Bloc API has red over black bullet tips. My bet is with Brian, judging by the bullet profile they are .30 M14 projs.

Does not "Recuperado" on the box label mean "Recovered"?

Regards
TonyE

True, but Eastern Bloc API has red over black bullet tips. My bet is with Brian, judging by the bullet profile they are .30 M14 projs.

Does not "Recuperado" on the box label mean "Recovered"?

Regards
TonyE

Sure does Tony....according to google translate anyway:tinysmile_twink_t2:

Most likely Soviet 7.62 Light Ball bullets, reloaded into .303 cases, all nicely stuffed into Brazilian 7x57 Mauser boxes. I wouldn't pay $5 for that, let alone $40!

Brian, you are spot on "RECUPERADA" says it all. J.R.
TonyE,

Thank you for your "faster than a speeding bullet" response.

Your input confirms my suspicions on this. That is I suspect someone may have pulled the original projectiles and reloaded the .303 cases with U.S. .30 M14 API projectiles.
Reloading U.S. .30/7.62mm/.50 BMG Tracer or API projectiles obtained from broken down ammunition into other cartridges (7.62x39mm, 7.62x54mmR, .303 British, .50 BMG etc.) to "create" "exotic" loads for sale at gun shows is all the rage here in the U.S.

It would be interesting to see the box and HS but at $40 a box for refabricated ammunition I'm not certain I'm that interested. IF anyone else cares to indulge here is the web address: http://www.cdvs.us/303-British-API-ammo-20-round-box-P444.aspx

Brian