What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Are these from a British No117 fuze?

Norman,

I'm slightly puzzled here, the 117C is shown as having marks I through to IV, from the drawings I have, I'm sure the 119 Mk I was obsolete as of about March 1940 so there shouldn't have any being manufactured, so it couldn't have been converted - why include it?

TimG

Tim,
Guess, I'm still learning too, thanks to Tim.I've been 'studying' British fuzes from the WW2 era now for about 15years, and new information comes to me almost on a monthly basis.So many manufacturers, so many types, so many marks, so many changes/improvements, so many exceptions to the rules.There is already a complete, separate study required just dealing with the famous 117 & 119.
thanks to all also for the mortar info, as said not my thing at all.

Robert

Norman,

I'm slightly puzzled here, the 117C is shown as having marks I through to IV, from the drawings I have, I'm sure the 119 Mk I was obsolete as of about March 1940 so there shouldn't have any being manufactured, so it couldn't have been converted - why include it?

TimG
If the Mark I was obsolete, rather than obsolescent, then existing stocks would be returned to depots. Maybe there was enough to justify a conversion programme.

Ammunition bulletin 18, 1941, has a note on the conversion program off the 119 to 117C and the reason why at that time.

As promised, after some (re)searching on the interweb, found almost what I was looking for.
mortar.jpg
With regards to: quote: "The British 4.2 mortar was smooth bore, the HE round used either a 152 or 152A fuze (it might subsequently have used the 162). The thread diameter on the 152 is 1.375". The 117 fuze has a 2" thread diameter." unquote.
As far as my eyes tell me, there is a 4.2 inch with a 221/199 fuze mounted on it, and the other one a no.119 fuze.
which leaves me to believe, either the creator of this collection tried to make us believe it should work (no.119 put on mortar for creative artistry), or it really did happen. The time fuze seems quite logical as the Americans did the same. But as the 119 also needs centrifugal spin not only for the centrifugal bolt, but also for its shutterplate to move outwards, one could say we are being deceived. Quite strange don't you think.

The 4.2 and 3" highlighted in the attached photo are both base ejecting rounds ,They split into two ejecting smoke pots ,parachute flares etc,,and both use the no390 fuze not the 221 or 119

Attachments

• fig-19.jpg
    fig-19.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 18
  • mortar.jpg
    mortar.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 16
Which means the 4.2 inch on the photo has an incorrect fuze on it..a creative outburst of the guy who made the picture ..
and the 390, the improved 199, is the correct fuze for these two mortars.

This only shows, do not believe anything you see, even a picture can be deceiving. Learning on the go!

Thanks Mr. spotter, you're a great teacher!

A couple of rounds on display at Larkhill. As Allan states, with No.390 fuze.

Tom.

Attachments

• Mortar_1.JPG
    Mortar_1.JPG
    233 KB · Views: 32
  • Mortar_2.JPG
    Mortar_2.JPG
    194.7 KB · Views: 27