What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Polishing

Spaceinvader

Hello, I am looking for a way to polish a 40mm case, it has some dark spots, and a little bit of green corrosion spots on it. Any suggestions welcome! Thanks,
Rhys

For the green corrosion , i use a weak 'spirit of salts' (hydrochloric acid) solution,this will take it back to bare brass.
Use rubber gloves, anything other than very weak solution will affect your skin.
If you don't have or want any markings on the case, just dip the whole thing in the solution,remove and rinse in clean water.
Gave up on Brasso years ago ,so if i want something clean now , i use 'Autosol' to polish.
Do it all by hand though as using buffing wheels tends to soften edges, ie, primer pocket.

Bob

Greenjacket,
I have had some success using Autosol.A less abrasive way is to try car body cutting polish it tends to leave a waxy finish which keeps the shine or there used to be years ago a toothpowder called Eucryl which i used to clean cap badges.
Best of luck.
Cliff

Greenjacket,
I have had some success using Autosol.A less abrasive way is to try car body cutting polish it tends to leave a waxy finish which keeps the shine or there used to be years ago a toothpowder called Eucryl which i used to clean cap badges.
Best of luck.
Cliff
Eucryl tooth powder is still available in the UK, as they say, from all good Chemists!