What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

HELP 40mm ?? but what ?? HELP

ken68

Hello all and happy newyear . can anyone please help ID this projectile . Length is 6in x 40mm , has a missing drive band also a base fuze . no markings at all
Cheers Ken

Attachments

• 40mm 001.jpg
    40mm 001.jpg
    274.9 KB · Views: 136
  • 40mm 003.jpg
    40mm 003.jpg
    369.5 KB · Views: 86
  • 40mm 004.jpg
    40mm 004.jpg
    274.8 KB · Views: 94
  • 40mm 005.jpg
    40mm 005.jpg
    269.2 KB · Views: 74
  • 40mm 006.jpg
    40mm 006.jpg
    270.2 KB · Views: 67
  • 40mm 007.jpg
    40mm 007.jpg
    299.4 KB · Views: 62
Hi Ken,
I can't help notice that there is no crimping groove below he drive band to secure it in a case. Not a profile I am familiar with as far as 40mm rounds go.
Best Weasel.

Yes thats what got me . With the missing drive band just makes it more of a mystery .i cant be any more than 1mm each way so classed it 40mm . The only time where i seen a drive band inside a shell case was an oto melara were most of the drive band was in the neck of the case ??
Seperate load but a bit small ? Base fuze extended ? No idea grasping at straws . HE ? Dont even have a clue what era .
Tricky one mate
Thanks

Could it be for some sort of CTA (case telescoped ammunition) round? The whole projectile would sit in the case if it was for that.

Dave.

looks awfully long in proportion to diameter. My guess is it is some ones attempt to make a projectile on their lathe.

I dont think this is a homer job . The drive band grips are correct also the threads have a peefect gape from the rear few mil's before theys start

Last edited:
Yes it was more of a reference with the lack of crimping cannelure type projectile and showing quite large base fuze's . Ive seen a HESH type one pictured next to a smashed concrete wall . Not alot of close up pictures yet . But i got this from a very large selection of unfired 20/25/27/30mm TP projectiles it was just an odd ball so to speak . Plus the guy i got the kit from kinda rules out a homer job . Note even in these pictures the quite flat drive bands .
Talk of the 30mm rarden changing to 40mm CTA In 2016 .
Cheers Ken

Hi this might sound stupid .here goes is it possible to have a cannelure in the middle of the drive band ????

Hi this came in a batch of two one had code markings on it. this one has no markings also came with CTA cases and some rarden TP-T , the chap I got this from reckons its from trials also he's sure it came from Dorset gunnery school Area ?????.
Cheers ken

Hi this came in a batch of two one had code markings on it. this one has no markings also came with CTA cases and some rarden TP-T , the chap I got this from reckons its from trials also he's sure it came from Dorset gunnery school Area ?????.
Cheers ken

What sort of CTA cases did it come with?
Dave.

I dont know dave its something i cant find out either ?? Just know its def not a homer and probably trials . Its really all the info i can get . Trials have been going on for years now so may never find out all the different projectiles etc maybe when they enter service there will be more info on them ??
Cheers Ken

Hi Ken,
as I also know where this projectile came from it could well be a unfinished example.....I picked up some 20mm Hispano plate test projectiles in various stages of completion from the same place also

Cheers
Tony

Cheers Tony very interesting . I think that has helped alot with this . Just makes me wonder if there was a fully completed one ??? Still a very nice part of my collection , with a bit of history in the making ??

Cheers Ken

Hi ive just got some feed back from Anthony G Williams from quarry.nildram He reckons its a Possible 40mm CTA HE practice projectile . so I am Happy with that !!!! it was mentioned on here by Dave that it could be the CTA trials . nice addition for the collection ,

thankyou guys for your input ..

Last edited:
Dave,

The link you provided is on your harddrive, so nobody but you can access it.
If you have a cloud drive, upload the file there and paste the link in the thread,

S.

Dave,

The link you provided is on your harddrive, so nobody but you can access it.
If you have a cloud drive, upload the file there and paste the link in the thread,

S.

Sorted.
Thanks.
Dave.

CTA%205e.jpg