What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

top 10 'must-have' grenades for the collector??

Thanks Bonnex!
And why would that be an illegal copy???
The Converted Mark II is not illegal at all. The conversions were done within the military in the early 1920s (I will post something in on other thread on this). As John explained in his later post there was some possible 'local' manufacture of Mills type grenades by a revolutionary group which puts another Indian grenade on the table. The official conversion and the 'revolutionary' grenade are not likely to be connected except by the coincidences of time period and country of origin.

Ah, ok, so the shown one was a legitimate Indian production. (as it initially looked to me and made me wonder)

Since I have been in the office today on horizon training I picked out the following objects as a nice to have, albeit unthemed, selection (some are stretching the definition of grenade perhaps). Not necessarily 'must-haves' but interesting none the less:

US Brunswick Riflemans Assault Weapon (RAW)
US Ring Aerofoil Grenade (Sting RAG)
US Defensive Mark I
'Serbian' M1912
Dutch V40 on a tail tube
French P2
Norwegian Aasen Excelsior B (but probably made in Paris)
Australian Garland
Austrian ARGES HG80
Belgian MECAR Super-Energa

Ah, ok, so the shown one was a legitimate Indian production. (as it initially looked to me and made me wonder)

Yes, I suspected the one Dave highlighted was a legal Indian No 5. Dave confirmed this to me in conversation this morning.

When I stated illegal I meant - a) in breach of the patents held by HMG b) Illegal arms manufacture in a organised society (colonial in the case on India in the 1920's).

Tom has rightly stated how many reject castings occur making two part body, but still people copied the Mills as it was a cheap and effective weapon.

John

1.Roland Grenade.
2.Mills cylindrical prototype
3.Prototype clockwork Mills
4.Mint Centrecast No.5 with pre June 1915 date
5.Mint No.23 Mk II with prototype Hearn plug
6.Mint No 23 Mk III with rod.
7.Mint No 36 M1
8.Mini Mills
9.1920's Indian illegal copy of No.5
10. Somali Mills 36 copy.

Number 3 on the list, the clockwork Mills, what does that look like?

Dave.