What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Panzerfaust 3

mogway

I' m looking for information on the panzerfaust familly and the german designation (DM12, DM12A1, DM22 and DM12A2).I found a lot of things on the web but nothing that answers my question about the different designation especially between the DM12A1 warhead and DM22 Warhead.

A new sight called Dynarange improves accuracy and it increases the weapon's effective range to 600.0 m or the rocket motor was modified.

yeah, that is not that easy and it confuses me as well.

The german Bundeswehr reffers to:

DM12 and DM12A1 as HEAT-RA
DM22 as tandem-charge
DM32 as HEAT-MP-RA = Bunkerfaust.

If you have a look at google pics, you can see all sorts of labeling...
Here you can see how the manufacturer names the different warheads http://www.dn-defence.com/index.php/pzf-3-96.html

Thank you for your reply.
My problem is with the DM12A1 warhead as the pictures shows the same designation between photo 1 and 2
but not the same profile. But perhaps marking the second photo is wrong

DM12A1 is Pict 2.jpgor Pict 1.jpg

For me , I think that DM22 isDM 22.jpg and DM12A1 is DM12A1.jpg

I just had a look at the above linked homepage of Dynamit Nobel Defence. Nothing there points to the fact that this is a subsidiary of IMI, who bought the defence part of Dynamit Nobel about 10 years or more ago. I wonder if the advertised products are new developments or products that were ready developed 10 years ago. IMI itself is one of the big players in the same productrange segment. Since DN was bought by IMI one does not hear anything from there any more.
Regards,
Bellifortis.

As I can't find reference in German documents (not that this means something) I have the thought that the DM22 was initially designated DM12A1 and was then changed. Just a thought.

Sorry for going a bit OT, but does anyone have knowledge/explanation of the Bundeswehr "system" for designations on weapons and equipment...? The "DMxx" seems completely confusing, as you find the same numbers used on several different type of weapons (for instance the "DM12" was also the electrical ex-Kriegsmarine G7e torpedo in use with Bundesmarine from 1956 to 1972.

The DM numbers are issued within on type of ammo and there also within one caliber. The first digit is the model variant. The last digit ais also partially (not always) indicating the general type ammunition like a DM 18 is a practice item and a DM13 is an AP while a DM15 is a smoke item. A DM10 is a dummy and a DM11 a HE. A DM12 a HEAT.
SAA had a less strict system.

Example:
20mm AP (any case type or "caliber" in this sense)
DM 13 = 1st adopted type in this caliber / 3= AP
The next 20mm AP that will be adopted will be the DM23 regardless if it is a 20x102 or a 20x139 or others.
Simple modifications od a model were suffixed by "A1", when modified again the "A2". When the change was just a change in used materials it was "B1" etc. So there existed items with a designation like DM13A1B1.

Also the "DM" was the final and adopted item while there are also "DT" for "troop trial" (small scale production and not neccessarily adopted later, similar to the US "XM") and "DE" for "trial".

There is much more to say but I do not remember it all.

In the end: there is no sole DM-number to every single item, same as in the US (which is less organized) but there for example you have thousands of items designated "M1".

Thank you - great info! :)

The DM numbers are issued within on type of ammo and there also within one caliber. The first digit is the model variant. The last digit ais also partially (not always) indicating the general type ammunition like a DM 18 is a practice item and a DM13 is an AP while a DM15 is a smoke item. A DM10 is a dummy and a DM11 a HE. A DM12 a HEAT.
This makes sense in regards to the modern german torpedoes, but how do you explain the DM11 (ex KM G7a) and DM12 (ex KM G7e), which is same "caliber" (although the term don't apply to torpdeos)? I can see that in regards of type you could argue wet-heater and electric propulsion being different, but wouldn't DM11 / DM21 then be more logical?

Another example that might deviate, is the armoured vehicles, that for the most part has names, for example the Leopard series. They seem to use the name followed by the modifications just as you described. I assume they also have a "DM-number", and that the name is an unofficial/popular designation?

SAA had a less strict system.
What is SAA?

There is much more to say but I do not remember it all.
I reckon there is a document describing this :)

I do not know when they started with an organized system of the DM numbers. Also torpedos are a bit tricky (and noone knows better than you).
I never had close enough access to torpedos to get a proper insight - as with some other items.

SAA = small arms ammunition.

I do not know of a DM numbering system for vehicles - there they followed the Wehrmacht tradition of using names of wild animals and for combat vehicles/tanks they are using names of predators (the day our indoctrinated, leftish, green, brainless, smelly, self proclaimed representatives of the people figure that there is "NAZI" heritage in our armed forces they immediately will change names to something like "Dipsy", "Laa-Laa", "Po" and "Tinky-Winky").
Small arms and aircrafts do not follow the DM-system for example.

Certainly there is a document stating on some of the DM numbers but I do not recall where it is (age and disorganization do no good here). Also I know that not every detail was given there and what the exceptions are.

No worries, there is a saying I like: The jack of all trades is the master of none!

It is much better to have your expertise on torpedos and other submarine ammunition rather than practising the above saying.

old thread I know but I've just found a Bundeswehr manual for this weapon in amongst my books if anyone is interested in buying (only kept for photos within that show BW uniforms)... DM me if so :)