What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

M26 fake!

timmymac

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgPretty well done copy of M26. Looks to be made from scratch. The pics seller had of it on the internet fooled me. After comparing to my Genuine body (on the right ) when i got it, made it a little less convincing. You would have thought that if some one was gonna go to all THIS much trouble, they would've done some research on the internal parts dimensions. Hope this can keep a fellow member from the headach it brought me.

I'm sorry about you getting taken, but I'm confused. In the middle photo, it looks like there is a real frag coil inside the left one, and a bunch of rolled up blue stuff on the right one. In the middle photo, the item on the right looks fake inside. In the other two photos, the item on the left looks fake.

Hazord I think what happened here is that the coil caught the flash because it's chrome steel. Not sure what the "coil" in the fake one is but the whole think is barely magneti.

Well, I don't know how much you paid for your "fake" if it is fake. If the fake one is on the left, that frag coil looks real, and I can't imagine anyone going to the trouble to try to duplicate it. There were a number of variations of the M26. The first ones had a problem with low order detonations because the detonator wasn't powerful enough to reliably detonate the main filler. The later models had a Tetryl booster wrapped around the detonator to set off the comp B filler. That could be why the fuzewell is larger on the left one.

These were also made by other countries. It could be foreign made with modified design.

Is this this an L2 body? It sure looks like it could be. Doesn't the bottom half go OVER top half at the seam? Also doesn't it accept fuse with 1/2 " thread? It never occurred to me until I was on Lexes sight looking at L3 A2 & glanced @ L2A1 coil!

these drawings may be of interest/use to you timmymac

Attachments

• l2a1.jpg
    l2a1.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 38
  • l2a2.jpg
    l2a2.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 38
  • l3a1.jpg
    l3a1.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 36
  • l3a2.jpg
    l3a2.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 34
  • l3a3.jpg
    l3a3.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 31
so L3 pracs have complete internal matrix? so do they use exactly the same bodies as 'live' L2, albeit with the inert filling ('HES' = High Explosive Simulant??)?

Last edited:
HES = HIGH EXPLOSIVE SUBSTITUTE

The documents i got the images from do not really say much ref the practice grenades design
"The grenade hand practice L3A1 is similar in construction to the grenade hand HE L2,"
with the other two later marks shown eg the L3A2 is different to the l3A1 in that the liner and adapter are assembled to the upper body as in the HE L2A2, and has a push fit steel core
The L3A3 differs from the L3A1 and L3A2 in the design of the plug and the design of the lower flange and method of closing

Many thanks for the data sheets Spotter. Its most definatly the L2A2, L3A1, or L3A3. Thanks guys for the posting on this & you were right HAZORD. Next time I'll post the damn thing & let the big boys tell me what I've got instead of jumping to conclusions.

Hi, The easiest way to tell an L2 from an M26A2 (both have large fuse wells) is the way the threaded fuze holder top is formed. The M26A2 is one piece and the L2 is not (see pic). Having said that I do have a strange relic frag coil and fuze well that is not one piece that I suspect was US made (there's always exceptions I guess- see pic). Cheers

Attachments

• M56 relic.jpg
    M56 relic.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 33
  • f2.jpg
    f2.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 41
Fragman by large fuse well, you mean 1/2" right ? Because there was an M24A1 fuse in it & I screwed L30A2 in it when I thought I might have a Brit frag body

Last edited:
Hi. Whilst I was meaning the physical size of the well (no provision for a booster), if the threaded section has not been replaced (and it accepts an M204 fuze) then it would most likely be Brit. It looks to have been nicely refurbished, shame it has US markings. Cheers