What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

French WWI 75mm Shrapnel shell

Hallams

Hi,
I have recently acquired a French WWI Shrapnel shell with beehive fuze, all complete, including a case. The shell has been derusted and painted the colour of red oxide primer but gloss. Unfortunately, no attempt was made to restore the shell before painting it and as it is well pitted, simply removing the paint and leaving it as it is won't do.
I am presently in course of filling the pitting and hope shortly to be at the painting stage. Can anybody tell me what colour the shell should be and whether it should be gloss or matt? Also, what bands or markings should the shell have? Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Regards, Dave.

Hello,

First you have to check inside to see if it is a mixed load (black powder mixed with balls) or rear load (bottom charge) because the color is different (white for the first and red for the second).

Regards.

75mm balles Mle 1897 charge arrire (bottom charge) :

75mm à balles à charge arrière.jpgobus_a10.jpgobus_a11.jpgobus_a13.jpg

75mm mixed :

75mm à balles charge mélangée.jpgOBUS%20A%20BALLES%20charge%20melangee.jpg

Hello Minenaz16,
Many thanks for that. Very helpful and much appreciated. I can now get on and finish the job.
Regards, Dave.