What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rocket launcher firing AP ammunition?

Spaceinvader

I know it sounds weird (and crazy), and I don't know much about rocket launchers and the ballistics of the rockets an all that, but would it be possible (and practical) for a shoulder fired rocket launcher to fire APDS or APFSDS ammunition? Im guessing that it wouldn't traveling fast enough to do much or be useful, but I would like to hear from anyone who has some knowledge on this kinda stuff! -Rhys

It isn't practical. Rockets use shaped charge warheads (chemical energy) to defeat armor. The warhead can function at any velocity with the same effect. A well designed shape charge can accelerate its cone material or platter material in excess of approximately 30,000 fps. That is 6 times the velocity of the best hypervelocity tank gun APFSDS-T projectile. Its almost like if they used the rocket motor in the warhead instead of a motor.

I read about some experimenting with rockets using solid AP warheads but do not remember the details. So the idea was at least realized in tests.

Yeah, thats what I thought Hazord, its just not fast enough. I would like to know more about those experiments, would definitely be interesting.

We did some at White sands in the 1980s, but they were not your granddad's "rockets". As with many military programs it ran under one project name until funding ran out, got re-named and re-funded and continued on. While I was there the program was called HVM (hyper-velocity missile). I'm not sure I have anything on it anymore, try google. The energy and kill power was amazing, the problem was that it was so fast you had no time to steer.

The British HVM/Starstreak missile can be shoulder launched and although it's an anti aircraft missile with a small explosive warhead it's designed to hit the target and can travel at about Mach 3. The explosive warhead functions with the aid of a proximity fuze. I suppose you could fire it at a ground based target and if it hit at Mach 3 it would do something, wouldn't it?

Last edited:
I will absolutely Google it Us-subs, sounds very interesting. If you do find anything on it just send me a message!

Although certainly not a shoulder launched weapon, I recall the LOSAT (line of sight anti tank) is a hyper velocity missile that uses kinetic energy to defeat armour.

Regards,

Menno

LOSAT was another continuation of the same program. Once LOSAT died it continued under another name. It is how R&D keeps their money flowing. Look at the developing companies and you can often track a project through its evolution.
http://www.army-technology.com/projects/losat/