What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My Baton Rounds

Hi,

They're not L-numbered, but the following illustrations of ARWEN rounds could also be useful:

image.jpg.
image.jpg

image.jpg
image.jpg

Currently working on a definitive list, based on docs, my own collection and other people's, found on the net etc :)

Baton Round list, all 1.5" or 37/38mm respectively. British Army Issue. All black Alloy cased, or black with wide cream or white band for L5 series.

Hardwood Pointed L1A1 and L1A2 No details of case or pics.

Rubber Pointed L2A1, L2A2, L4A1 Proof, XL2E1 and XL2E2 Exp/Trials

Flat nosed PVC also known as "Plug" L3A1 long range, L3A2 long range.

L5A1, L5A2, L5A3, L5A4, L5A4B1 (modified) L5A5, L5A6, L5A6B1 (modified) L5A7 last of the L5 series, made in Europe, no white band on case.

XL5E1 Exp/Trials.

Also XL12E1 and XL13E1 Exp/Trials. Type unknown.

Blanks, Blue Aluminium cased L8A1 and L8A2. Plastic cased (blue) L38A1 and XL38E1 Exp/Trials. (white)

Brown Plastic Projectile L21A1 and XL21E1 Exp/Trials.

Grey AEP Projectile L60A1 and L60A2. Grey case.

Drill, Turned Aluminium, Oxford Blue L23A1

Irritant and CS Cartridges :-

Paper Cased L1A1, L2A1, L2A2.

Alloy Cased unpainted. L3A1, L4A1 Practice, L4A2 Practice, L5A1, L6A1, L18A1, L18A2, XL21E1 Practice Exp/Trials.

I'm sure there are probably more, would be interesting to hear about and see any others

Last edited:
Hi Tony,

Nice list! Still, that's the point of collecting - there's always more to find!

We can also add the L8A1 proof round which was shown in a picture of flares posted by Fusse2004 a few days ago:

image.jpg

Cheers,

Gary

Hi Tony,

Nice list! Still, that's the point of collecting - there's always more to find!

We can also add the L8A1 proof round which was shown in a picture of flares posted by Fusse2004 a few days ago:

View attachment 110658

Cheers,

Gary

Hi Gary

I didn't see that either ! I must be losing my touch ! ;)

Yep, that's one of the tings that makes collecting interesting.

Tony

SAM_0005.JPGSAM_0002.JPGSAM_0004.JPGSAM_0003.JPGI thought I would show an Inert Instruct L5A3 Baton Round that I have, to show what they should consist of. Pics show the closing cap, baton or plug, propellant capsule and of course a case with a percussion cap in it. All Inert on this one of course.

May I say that you have a rather fine collection. I have a modest collection of U.K baton rounds myself and hope that you may be able to answer a few questions that I have. Firstly, the L5 series. The cases I have seem to show a marking about 4mm inside the case. This would suggest that the round was recessed into the case and sealed flush with something. All photographs I have seen of the L5 series show the projectile standing proud in the case. How were they issued? Was there a seal or were they all issued slightly proud of the case? Secondly, the U.K irritant rounds. What was the projectile, if any? Do any survive? Also, I have often read about "long range" rounds. Is this an urban myth? Were they issued? How are these identified? Mark number? Banding or colour coding? And finally, aside from experimental rounds, what are the issued marks that are hard to find? I hope you can go some way in answering my queries, but as you know, details on baton rounds are scant.

thanks! pleased to see this thread is ongoing :) as I'm late coming back to this, I think other members have now answered your questions, but re irritant round projectiles - L4A1 PRAC irritant projectile is shown with case centre top row in pic below; the proj is hollow plastic so assume this is same for 'live' irritant round. ARWEN irritant rounds have diff layout.

attachment.php

thanks to those members who have compiled baton types list - I'll work my way through this :) oktato - nice collection - think you've nabbed a few I had my eye on from auction sites!

will have to post pics of my new acquisitions inc H83 ammo tins for L60A1 and ARWEN rounds, and a 'smoke puff' cart (not sure what this was used for in context of the 1.5" riot gun as guess it would not have output needed for screening and couldn't be for target marking - perhaps riot control training??).

re L3A1 LR round - strangely this seems to have had both 'rubber pointed' *and* 'flat nosed PVC' projectiles?? I have the 'Pamphlet No.13: Grenades' manual that shows the latter configuration, but have one in my collection with the former, as does the IWM it appears (http://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/30020432)... I guess this reflects move from rubber to plastic rounds in the '70s but odd that they kept same designation for diff load, and presumably performance, right?

Last edited:
New to this bit of collecting, but found 2 items in the last week, not bad as they seem hard to find! Pic of cs cart, also found an L8A1 Blank dated 74 by SPRA in mint condition.

Hi Tony,
Nice cartridge! But no good to you as it's 38mm, not 1.5"...
Just paying attention to your updated wants list!
Cheers,
Gary

I cant find a pic of one the same on Bocn, although I have looked at the interesting posts on here. I take it this is police issue? Have seen a 38mm yellow signal for sale recently too. Not 1.5" so will probably go at some point as I am struggling with the 1" and 1.5" stuff! Glad someone read my wants list! Cheers Tig

Hi Tony. If you had shown me this CS Cart without the SPRA markings, I would have said it was a Haley & Weller round from the 1980's or 90's. Just goes to show what is out there. Could be Police issue, also Army too, I think there was a lot of CS being used in the 70's.
I read your wants list too ! I wouldn't have had anything for you until maybe now. Will have a look to see if any 1.5" spares. Cheers, Tony.

Cheers Tony, thanks for the thoughts, these are interesting, there are lots to collect and not stupid money, puts the fun back in to collecting. Something iv'e missed in the last few years. Also allows for doing some swaps again something else that seems to have gone out of fashion. Cheers, Tony.

Hi! A bit of a long shot, but, does anyone have any closing caps for the L5 series that are spare and want to sell? If so PM me. Regards