What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Scud Warhead

peteblight

Ordnance Approved
Ordnance approved
Does anyone know what the red circle and the 2 black lines on the bottom of this Scud warhead mean/indicate?

I've seen the red circle on other warheads along with I, II, III and IV as well, and I'm trying to find out the significance of them.

Cheers

Pete

Scud warhead (Russian) found in Iraq.jpg

To what I found it is a collector port (4 of them) covered by cardboard discs. It was not specified much but it is meant to have access to the atmosphere. Somehow related to the warhead and maybe the fuzing system. Maybe barometric ports or so.

Having looked closely at a number of pictures of different Scud warheads it appears that they have I, II, III and IV on each one (where visible).

Pete

Pete, you should have a copy in the office of Jack McGeorge's document done for UNMOVIC, check that and see if he makes any mention. I can check my UNSCOM docs but not until later tonight when I'm home. Not sure if they go into anything either. Unless it had something to do with the payload most of the guys I know didn't pay too much attention, the concern was more with the liner and contents. The general missile markings were just background noise. I'll see what I have.

Aren't markings the kind of noise which will tell one what he is dealing with? To my experience it is "just background noise" for most as they do not want to stress their brains.