What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AGM-176 Griffin

Slick

Have recently come into info on this new (to me) missile launching system. As we're mostly all aware of the "normal" launch systems for assorted missiles (Missiles are vehicles powered by rockets, to carry warheads)(who knew?), normally, a tube or rail of some sort aims the missile in a general direction and a button is pushed or a fuze lit.

This containerized system is mounted on the ramp of a modified C-130. Missiles pointing forward. They are "launched" via drogue chutes. Backwards. After a short delay, the rocket motor kicks in and it wooshes off, under the airplane (hopefully), and guides to its target.
Another cat-skinnin', such as it is.

Griffin 2 (285x129).jpgGriffin (309x186).jpg

Last edited:
this brings up a question about the AC 119, 123 and 130 in Viet Nam. I have a document that states various ADU and CBUs were mounted on these aircraft during VietNam (though limited numbers) I found where the ADU were mounted in the floor of the 123, but can not find any reference of for the 119 and 130 - so any reference to these out there. Supposedly the AC 47 had ADUs mounted on it also, but again in limited numbers.