What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

.55 Boys crate

TonyE

HONOURED MEMBER RIP
I picked this up yesterday (and it does require some picking up!).

A full crate of 160 rounds of .55 Boys W Mark II armour piercing made by K2 in 1942.

This was part of a large amount of .55 Boys ammo that came back from Portuguese Macao about thirty years ago (and incidentally contained the first .55 Boys made by Radway Green that had been seen on the collector market). If you look at the close up of the small white label you will see it says at the bottom "COMANDO MILITAR DE MA..." which originally said "MACAO".

The ammo is in chargers in 10 round bandoliers. The Label is number H960 which I have just added to the list on my website.

...and before anyone starts worrying, it is all entered on my Section 5!

Regards
TonyE

Attachments

• Boys 1.jpg
    Boys 1.jpg
    323.7 KB · Views: 169
  • Boys 2.jpg
    Boys 2.jpg
    318.4 KB · Views: 214
  • Boys 3.jpg
    Boys 3.jpg
    299.3 KB · Views: 161
  • Boys 4.jpg
    Boys 4.jpg
    324.5 KB · Views: 155
Tony,

Very nice, a rare sight these days.

Such a heavy burden!

I know how to lighten your load, bring some of it to SLICS next month! :tinysmile_hmm_t:

Brian

WONDERFUL FIND! Makes me wish I still had 1 of my Boys rifles so I could reduce the glut on the collectors market!

Best get a boys rifle and do some plinking in the back garden then....................:bigsmile:

Wow, a special time capsule just for you TonyE. What a great find.

Hi, Nice find, I have two of those boxes, I have a few Boys items for sale if anyone is interested.

kevin.

breech cover.
spanner.
buffer tube bolt and nut.
pistol grip bolt.
but grip bolt.
receiver retaining nut.
Replica barrel

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    292.4 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
Hello,
I´d like to build a reprodction of the boys ammunition crate, but I can´t find the dimensions of the crate.

Could you meassure your crate and send me the dimensions (including the thickness of the boards)?

Kind regards,

Philipp

Nice find. It seems that a lot of stuff has been coming out of Spain and that region. I had the chance to buy 6 Mk5 AT war time mines deactivated in its original crate, good price but never have the money when things like this come up, typical. British stuff is hard to come by mostly sold off to the middle east after the war.

Sadly, Tony is no longer with us. If you know Martin G., he probably ended up with the crate and shot all the rounds! He might be able to help.