What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sc10 - sd10 - sd10 dw

FZG76

Ordnance approved
Hello

can someone provide me with information on the SD10 and SC10. What are the differences, fuzes?
Do you know the SD10DW?
Regards

I'm not 100% sure on this, and there seems to be lots of opinions on the differences between the SC10 and the SD10. To all intense and purposes the two basic models look identical. (there were differences in body construction (some were cast) and one obvious difference was the SC10 dw which had a double skin body filled with a mix of concrete and steel splinters).

The SC10 was a pre-war development (developed @ 1929/1930 period) and used the AZC (10) hut fuze.........the SD10 used the AZ 66 fuze, however the bodies of the bombs are identical in shape, thickness weight etc.

I believe that with the introduction of the SD50 bomb (50kg) and its SD designation (in the early months of 1939), the designation of the SC10 was also then changed to SD10. This distinguished between the thin walled HE bombs and the thicker walled fragmentation bombs the designations we are all familiar with today, I believe were used from this point onwards; SC = thin walled and SD = thick walled. Unfortunately the SC10 was introduced before this regimented pattern was in place and given the name SC10 pre-war. To all intense and purpose the SC10 is acutally a thick case bomb, it always was a fragmentation bomb. The changing of the designation at the time would be a logical step, however as we look back, having familiarised ourselves with the regimented order of things, it no longer makes sense. I personally believe we are looking at the same bomb body, yes there were differences in construction, however all are fragmentation bombs at the end of the day.

now I said at the begining I am not 100% sure about this, maybe someone can tell me an obvious difference I have overlooked, I am more than happy to be corrected if I am wrong.

regards Kev

Last edited:
Kev',

Not saying you're wrong, but look at the date on this document.

TimG

01.jpg

unfortunately I dont speak German either, but can sort of 'read between the lines'
it looks to me like it says that the SC10 comes in two versions the SC10 and SC10t (I believe the latter was without tail?)
it also seems to say that the SC10 uses the (3) AZC 10 hut fuze.

Perhaps then it could be that the SC10 was recognised as being a thick cased bomb with the introduction of the SD50, but remained with the same designation. Only with the introduction of a new fuze the AZ66 was the designation changed to SD10? That way it would be easy to differenciate between a SC10 (with old style fuze) and a SD10 with the superfast AZ66 fuze?
Like many others I remain confused by this and am trying to make some sense of it...........however it does appear to me that when the bomb was first introduced the classification of bombs ie SC and SD wasnt in place and I think that this could still be the source of the confusion.
For those that are not familiar with the subject SC bombs had a weight ratio of approx 55% explosive to overall weight, whilst the SD bombs had a weight ratio of around 35% explosive to overall weight. It is without doubt that both the SC10 and SD10 come under the latter, hence the confusion.

I know I would like to know the answer to it as much as anyone else.

regards Kev

I hate gothic letters :tinysmile_fatgrin_t

(I believe the latter was without tail?)

Yes, you are right (for low-level bombing)

Perhaps then it could be that the SC10 was recognised as being a thick cased bomb with the introduction of the SD50, but remained with the same designation.

It's quite possible. SC mean "Sprengbombe, Cylindrisch" or Cylinder - explosive-filled bomb with cylinder shell. Most of previously used German bombs were streamlined (spindly-formed). AFAIK thick-walled bomb were introduced in 1938 or '39 and, as it was 50 kg bomb, they must change marking for distinguish thin-walled and thick-walled model. So they introduced SD - Sprengbombe, Dickwandig (explosive bomb, thick-walled).

According to 1940 date of this manual, there's an information on the last page that it substitute previous edition from 1935.

I hate gothic letters :tinysmile_fatgrin_t

Yes, you are right (for low-level bombing)

It's quite possible. SC mean "Sprengbombe, Cylindrisch" or Cylinder - explosive-filled bomb with cylinder shell. Most of previously used German bombs were streamlined (spindly-formed). AFAIK thick-walled bomb were introduced in 1938 or '39 and, as it was 50 kg bomb, they must change marking for distinguish thin-walled and thick-walled model. So they introduced SD - Sprengbombe, Dickwandig (explosive bomb, thick-walled).

According to 1940 date of this manual, there's an information on the last page that it substitute previous edition from 1935.

Thanks Speedy for your reply.........I dislike the gothic letters too, I see they were only used on earlier German manuals of WW2.

Interesting reading your reply, if there was no distinction when the SC10 bomb was developed then the prefix SC (cylindrical) would be a perfect description of this bomb. This only falls apart when the thick walled bombs were designated SD, and more important in this case, when the SC became the prefix of thin case bombs.

I would like to see some hard based evidence to support this 'theory', but on the face of it to date I cant find a better explination. Maybe the document shown just proves that when the opportunity arose (ie introduction of a new fuze (AZ66)) then the designation was subsequently altered to SD10. However, to change the designation already given to the SC10 bomb in original format, may have caused more issues than it solved, hence it remained SC10?

regards Kev

Hi,

the last information.
I have found in France, EURE (27), a bomb SC10DW with a relic AZ66 at the nose. No tail but with the rear particular, concrete and part steel.

Regards
Conches 2016-1.jpg

Apparently, there was a kind of SC10 specifically made without fins, called SC10T, (before called TAC 10). As I see in the book "Deutsche Abwurfmunition im Zweinten Weltkrieg". At least, I think so. Because I don't speak german either.

The SD10 is a modified SC10.
See the discription at #2 on the data sheet SD10.

Attachments

• SC10.jpg
    SC10.jpg
    161.1 KB · Views: 70
  • SD10.jpg
    SD10.jpg
    156.5 KB · Views: 69
Sc 10

Some more info

Attachments

• 020.jpg
    020.jpg
    303.7 KB · Views: 54
  • 021.jpg
    021.jpg
    291.6 KB · Views: 68
  • 018.jpg
    018.jpg
    302.3 KB · Views: 59
  • 019.jpg
    019.jpg
    300.5 KB · Views: 63
HI

It is strange to find a AZ66 ...
Thank you for these beautiful drawings !!

I thought I understood something ...
- AZC 10 or N°3 for SC10
- AZ66 for SD10

But it is a AZ66 on SC10DW I found in the forest ...
The SC10DW has it been armed with AZ66 on the books ???

Have a good day

Photo taken in Liberty Museum Overloon! Ban Junior Collection

Attachments

• SAM_0830.jpg
    SAM_0830.jpg
    288.7 KB · Views: 67
Hello,

US manual pointed a SD10A fuzed AZ66 with fragmentation pellets like SC10 DW.
Exactly the bomb you found.

Cheers

SD.jpgSDDD.jpg

Last edited: