What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WWII MKII Grenade Crate with Canisters

Dirt Detective

Lucked out and found this complete MKII Grenade crate with 25 Canisters. 15 of those have the original yellow tape that sealed them,most have the felt and cardboard inside. The tape matches the outside of the box. Hope you guys like.

Attachments

• box1.JPG
    box1.JPG
    127.7 KB · Views: 72
  • box2.JPG
    box2.JPG
    144.1 KB · Views: 60
  • box6.JPG
    box6.JPG
    144.1 KB · Views: 61
  • box7.JPG
    box7.JPG
    140.7 KB · Views: 60
  • box8.JPG
    box8.JPG
    117.4 KB · Views: 66
  • box9.JPG
    box9.JPG
    107.1 KB · Views: 59
  • box11.JPG
    box11.JPG
    139 KB · Views: 62
  • box10.JPG
    box10.JPG
    112.7 KB · Views: 49
Last edited by a moderator:
Packaging more rarer and valuable than the items it held. Nice tins, never seen the detail of the yellow tape and markings before, nice find.

Thanks for the nice words guys. I agree with you it does belong in a museum. Here is what 13 of the yellow tapes looked like when pulled from inside the cans.

Attachments

• tape in can.jpg
    tape in can.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 33
Was the crate and its contents preserved on purpose or was it just luck that it has survived in such perfect condition? Finding a mint crate is one thing but with the transport cans is off the scale. Great find.
Cheers
Gary

I also wonder what the story was with this crate. It was found in the basement at an Estate sale in Massachusetts, not by me. Mass. matches the state listed on the box. I wonder why the guy placed the yellow tape inside the cans..maybe he was just policing the area..who knows, or did he do it for another reason? Two of the cans already had the tape wrapped around the cans, which leads me to believe he wasn't planning to put screws and nails inside them.

When I first bought this I figured I could sell the cans and make a little profit but now I feel this crate can never be broken up
.#5 box.jpg#4 box.jpg

These are two of the original pictures that were used in the auction.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's a great find and fairly early for WW2, I wander if this plays a part in the mistery
Vinny