What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

120mm

phantomf4

003.jpgJust got done with my 120mm mortar round, aka "big fatty" lol this one was in bad shape, fuze was broken off etc. amazing what alittle TLC and a lot of paint will do ha ha. thanks

Thanks Jason, I'm working on a 4.2 mortar round now. I'll post pics when I'm done. by the way impressive collection!

Fired-up to see your 4.2 Mortar Resto! Definitely post pics when you can.

Jason
PS: Thanks for the great complement :)

Nice paint job! Your shell appears to be an Illuminating projectile painted to be an HE, is that correct?

yes I think you may be right, It was painted white when I got it with no markings so im assuming it was an illumination round, but it appeared someone else had painted it after it was shot. I decided to go with an HE markings cause, well just because HE is more cool ha ha :tinysmile_hmm_t:

blu97,

I'm still thinking it's illuminating. I can see the parting line where the two halves come together and he did say it was white before he painted it.

The fuze and the holes underneath donates that it is a practice round, the M781 Practice Fuze is a point detonating fuze with a smoke charge, that woud'nt make sence on a illuminating round. Or some body screwed a practice fuze with adapter o​n illuminating body. Blu

Last edited:
no adapter on the fuze, it has a 1.5 inch hole. I used a practice fuze m775, the same as what they use in the 60mm. I did this because it was all I had, fuzes seem to be hard to find and pricey. The HE rounds have the same parting line, I bead blasted it and I don't think it was made to come apart, although it had some dimples around the body where it looked like it was spot welded together. If any one needs close ups of a particular spot i'll be glad to take em and post them.

oh and the fuze was broke off, so I have no idea what it originally had, just know it was no fun getting what was left of the original out. lol