What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

4.2 inch

phantomf4

Had a member ask me about my process I used on the 120mm "big fatty" so i'll post a couple of before, kinda during, and after shots of a 4.2 inch round I'm working on. when I got it, it had been chrome plated, so I sanded and cleaned, set down a base yellow, applied lettering and sprayed the whole thing green. will post pic when done. 007.jpg004.jpg

I have heard this method before! Thanks for posting pics

The vinyl stickers that you use do you make them yourself? Ready made? How is the font matched?

Thanks for sharing that with us. Personally, I use dry transfer letters made by Letraset and similar. They look OK but its hard to get the correct fonts and colours for everything.
You can see what I mean here.P1040097.JPG

I have heard the reverse lettering method before and looking at the results they look great. My thoughts on the pieces that have a unique font or some type of other design is similar. By this I mean the reverse get custom vinyl cut by using a original by taking picture or graphic to a sign shop. Instead of using the inside letters cut from the vinyl using the outer portion as the mask stencil.

Thanks all, one thing you must remember is a stencil can work but your dealing with round and odd shaped things and stencils sometimes wont lay flat.

Actually Fred's 4.2 inch could have white lettering if it was inert loaded. The fuze would be proper if it is a 564.

Last edited:
It is indeed a 564 fuze. I accept that the stencilling is not ideal, I was illustration the limitations of dry transfers.
Fred