What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

40mm bofors L/60

phantomf4

005.jpgthese I soaked in vinegar and salt, it eats the junk off of the brass, comes out with a copperish look, polished on a bench grinder with a polishing wheel. The polish I used was a brand called 'mothers" its for aluminum wheels. Projectiles where bead blasted then painted.

The acid in the vinegar eats the zinc out of the brass leaving the copper behind, that's why they get the copper look. You should wash them in soda water to neutralize the acid.

Ah ha that's what the deal is, I knew vinegar is acidic, didn't know it was eating zinc lol

The acid in the vinegar eats the zinc out of the brass leaving the copper behind, that's why they get the copper look. You should wash them in soda water to neutralize the acid.

Actually my first comment was misleading. I meant to say wash with water in which baking soda has been dissolved to neutralize the acid.

As EOD said, acid shouldn't be used. If it changes the appearance of the case, it degrades the original look and value. There are some collectors that want to see the tool marks on a projectile from the final turning. Of course everyone likes original paint, and that's why there is so much discussion on the forum regarding what to use to remove the rust and corrosion but not harm the paint, so sandblasting the outside to remove rust, also removes the tool marks and the paint, which is akin to heresy to some . Some people get a buffing wheel and polish brass cases to a mirror finish. Yeah, it's shiny, but it isn't in the natural state in which it would have been issued and used. It looks shiny, but it isn't realistic. Of course it is yours to do with as you wish.

The Romans said it all: "De gustibus non est disputandum" or "In matters of taste, there can be no disputes"

Yes I agree with you, a friend and I also discussed this topic awhile back. I don't "restore" a shell unless it's in bad shape, ie no paint, super dark brass, heavy rust etc. These 40mm's were all in bad shape with no paint etc. I myself would prefer all original specimen's in decent untouched condition. But I take what I can get and if there rough i'll fix them up. So none to worry I wouldn't and wont desecrate a decent piece of ordnance.

Actually my first comment was misleading. I meant to say wash with water in which baking soda has been dissolved to neutralize the acid.

As EOD said, acid shouldn't be used. If it changes the appearance of the case, it degrades the original look and value. There are some collectors that want to see the tool marks on a projectile from the final turning. Of course everyone likes original paint, and that's why there is so much discussion on the forum regarding what to use to remove the rust and corrosion but not harm the paint, so sandblasting the outside to remove rust, also removes the tool marks and the paint, which is akin to heresy to some . Some people get a buffing wheel and polish brass cases to a mirror finish. Yeah, it's shiny, but it isn't in the natural state in which it would have been issued and used. It looks shiny, but it isn't realistic. Of course it is yours to do with as you wish.

The Romans said it all: "De gustibus non est disputandum" or "In matters of taste, there can be no disputes"