What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

90mm M7H SHELL HE GREGSON &MONK LTD PRESTON

hangarman

Have found a box marked up 90mm M7H SHELL HE GREGSON & MONK LTD PRESTON
What does it mean?
Have done a google on Gregson and Monk and they made machinery, mainly for the weaving industry but no mention of Ammunition.
Any ideas?
Cheers
Gary

Gary,

I have G & M - Gregson & Monk, Preston, shown as contractors for shell manufacture. What period is the box?

TimG

Gregson and Monk ( G & M) of Vulcan Iron Works, Preston are down as being pre-WWI iron founders and engineers, and loom makers machinists. During WWI they made 18-pdr HE shells. They made artillery shells in WWII but I don't know what types - 90 mm looks a distinct possibility from what's marked on your box...

* TimG just pipped me to the post.

Tom.

Gary,

It is a little unusual. As far as I can ascertain the only people to use the 90 mm were the Americans and the Canadians and I can't find any examples of the latter using them. Furthermore, it was fixed ammunition. I think the marking is meant to be 90 mm M71 shell.

TimG

Found this thread searching for Gregson & Monk Ltd., Preston as I've just purchased this 90mm Shell Box.

IMG_20220714_142650.jpgIMG_20220714_142657.jpgIMG_20220714_142726.jpgIMG_20220714_142747.jpgIMG_20220714_142812.jpg

Thinking it was WW2 with a British manufacturer making US 90mm shells.
The paper label 90mm M313, Shell Smoke, manufacturer, LOT ? yellow rectangle 7 broad arrow.
This has stuck over a stamp 90mm Shell Lot ? with the rest covered.
After a clean on the other side is ROFW 1953 with RO? above.
There is a K stamped into the wood on one end.
Only a small box. about 13" by 9 1/2" internal.
No lid and what's left of a rusty hinge?

Where we still making US shells in 1953? Could this be WW2 then reused with a new label?

Any help appreciated.