What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My First Bomb SC50 ?

Weasel

Premium Member
Hi All,
I have been a keen collector for far too many years to think about now but have until yesterday never owned a piece of air dropped ordnance. I saw this advertised at a good price so thought i would have a go. A 380 mile round trip later i can home with this little beast, now i may need some help here but i think it is an early SC50 27 inches long and 8 inches diameter with 8 screw holes in the rear of the case. the fuze is a relic 25 not what would of been in there i am sure, just wanted to put a fuze in to photgraph. This one was found in a garden in Bristol about 20 years ago and the man who found it just left it outside his house ever since so not as good as it could have been, Bristol got a pretty good going over in 1940 and this would be in keeping with the early type locking rings that this would of had, if one of the posts had not rusted away completly. I intend to do a restoration and save her from a life rusting away in a garden in Wales.
Best regards Weasel.

50kg 01.jpg50kg 02.jpg50kg 03.jpg50kg 04.jpg

Great find Weasel. I'd think you're chuffed to bits with that one.
If you know of any (inert) SD 2's that have been left lying around in gardens in Wales let me know :tinysmile_fatgrin_t

Dave.

Weasel, if you need a hanging loop for restoring just let me know. I have a couple for spare.

Thank you Tmine35,
Yes please, I am after one of those.
Best regards Weasel.

I wish I could find a SC50, well done weasel,I look forward to the restoration pictures.

Thank you Skull181,
I will indeed post some more pictures as the restoration gets under way. i had no idea what it was until i went to pick it up.
Best regards Weasel.

Hi Skull181
The latest is not much has changed as house stuff has got in the way. I received a lifting eye from Tmine but the threaded socket in the case is to small for the standard eye. At least it is now in the dry and being looked after,
Best regards Weasel.

Hi Skull181
The latest is not much has changed as house stuff has got in the way. I received a lifting eye from Tmine but the threaded socket in the case is to small for the standard eye. At least it is now in the dry and being looked after,
Best regards Weasel.

Hi Weasel,

If suprises me that the standard hanging eye doesnt fit, are you sure that its not corrosion that is preventing it screwing in? (I am not so much doubting your word as rather suprised)

regards Kev

Hi Kev,
When the eye bolt is offered up the bottem of the bolt rests in the recess of the well but is way too big to engage the thread. Maybe on these early ones a different size was used, not my area of expertise by a long shot, i will do some homework and try and find out.
Best Weasel.

Hi, I have an identical bomb case as this one dated 1936 with the early locking rings, a standard 50kg lifting eye fitted straight in after a bit of tapping. Sure you havn't got a 250kg lifting eye?? or the bomb case could be hungarian rather than German manufactured??

Here is a comparison of the two sizes of hanging eye; the one on the left is for the 250kg bombs/containers, the one on the right for 50kg bombs/containers.

*** just re-read this thread and see the source of your hanging eye, so I have no doubt that you have the correct size. Maybe the threads just need cleaning up, as even the smallest ammount of rust in the thread can prevent them screwing in properly.***

hope this helps.........regards Kev

P9301040.jpg

Last edited:
The hanging eye I sent was removed from ZC50 concrete bomb. I have used the same succesfully in several AB70 containers as well.

Weasel this is definately the right eye for the case, perhaps its the threads that are causing the issue.

regards Kev