What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Use a blowtorch on a bomb and the results may not be the best...........

No, I wouldn't use a blow torch on a WW2 Bomb :hmmmm2:, the contents seem to react to heat, don't they.... with quite startling results...

You don't have to be:alberteinstein: do you?

Seven people dead, very sad indeed.

Remember Bombs are dangerous, very dangerous!

Be careful...

Last edited:
Not that uncommon, and often the scrap workers are not to blame. I worked a commercial contract one time where a scrapyard had purchased 5000 tons of ordnance scrap, certified as inert. It was several weeks before one of the workers was killed, using a torch to separate steel from aluminum components (105mm TP/HEAT). I saw another site in China where a local removed a heavy steel drum as scrap which had been dug up from a construction site. Prior to selling it to the scrap dealer he used an axe to punch through the side and drain out the liquid contents (HD). That incident ended no better. Near military ranges in S. Korea there are entire villages which survive off the scrap metal recovered from the impact areas. When talking with the locals observing the numers of scars, missing digits and limbs etc is an education in itself. We would periodically get calls for recovery/removal of fatalities from these ranges when the locals would get a little too tempted, typically by copper cones.....

Subs is right about Korea, while I was stationed there I responded 3 times to different incidents where the scrap pickers were either trying to separate Al from the projectile or remove the HE - all ended up with a big hole in the ground and ordnance spread all over with plenty of blood to go around. Even had a few state side incidents, one was cutting 1000 lb LDGP practice bombs with concrete that resulted in a small detonation injuring the scrapper

Several years ago I have investigated death of the scrap yard worker who got killed while cutting empty case of the US 1000lb GP bomb. Anyway he was killed by the explosion of the exploder tube which was not removed. I will try to find some photos in the archive.