What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can anyone ID this item? Could it be a projectile of some sort?

apfsds

Premium Member
I purchased this many years ago at a local Gun Show thinking it was ordnance related. To date, I have never been able to figure out what it is. It is incredibly well built and highly engineered. It could not have been cheep to manufacture. There is a single small non-threaded hole in the side. Some have speculated that it could be a wind-tunnel test model?

Jason

IMG_2959.jpgIMG_2967.jpgIMG_2968.jpgIMG_2969.jpgIMG_2971.JPGIMG_2974.JPG

Looks suspiciously like an airplane part. Not a pitot tube, but some similar appendage?

To me it looks more like the top to a flag or guidon pole.

Maybe part of a wind tunnel test model scale aircraft,the cone looks similar scale shape to the shock cone in the intake of the English Electric Lightning aircraft,
Just a guess,very interesting though,
Cheers,
Don,

I have shown it to a few fighter pilots and commercial airline pilots who all said that they did not recognize it as aircraft related. Definitely too well built and engineered to be flag pole related or as a grinder tooth which are typically tungsten carbide. Someone told me they thought it could possibly be from a missile?

Jason

Papy, I do not know what that is :) Do you have a photo of one? Thanks for your help.

Jason

Thank you for your help, Papy. I just checked them out and it was a great guess but I do not think this unknown part belongs to that device? I have heard of that device also being called a "Walkers Log".

Jason

I never thought of that, Yoda! While I hope it is not harpoon related, it easily could be. Very good possibility on that. It is hard to tell from the pics, but this thing is built extremely well with a high degree of engineering.

Jason

There are very sophisticated harpoon point to see on google images !
Now, have you beter ideas of the dimensions, length and diameter ?
Sorry to ask this question, but is your meterscale on the first pic in inch or in cm ?

Yoda

Hi Yoda;

Unfortunately, this item is boxed up in storage while I am in the process of rebuilding my home so I can't take more measurements. The photo with the ruler is in inches :) I would guess from memory that it is about 3 to 3.5 inches wide at the base.

Jason