What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

French navy 37mm mdl 1925 ammunition box.

Michel

I thought I would just share this nice ammo box with you.

It is a French navy full copper box for 6 rounds 37mm mdl 1925. The workmanship that has gone into making this one is impressive "build to last" you could say. Certainly not for one time use.

The locking mechanism still runs like clockwork.

For an AA gun it's a lot of weight to get these to the gun the weight of the empty box is about 10 kg. Luckily the rate of fire was not to high.

image.jpg image.jpg

image.jpg image.jpg

Hello,

Nice item. Do you have pictures of shells and cases for this box ?

Regards

Only the case, dimensions are 37x277R. The neck of the casing is bend sadly. I guess the shells are hard to find but you never know.
image.jpg image.jpg

I have seen images of boxes like this holding 1902 pattern 37x202 rounds for subcalibre practice use. 6 rounds for an AA gun is rather insuficient
and I suspect subcalibre or casemate guns perhaps depending on wether this is an army or Navy container -

The box and the casing where a pair when I got them. I have seen another box like this one together with 3 casings and the same headstamp. Together with the provenance (salveged at Dunkirk, but was is the value of a story I can't check).
I can imagine that the rate of fire from a 37 mm model 1925 AA gun ( navy ) was low that is why it was renewed in 1933 by the 37 mm mdl 1933 (navy). The model 1925 also had a 6 round magazine.
Maybe it was used as a ammo box for direct ready ammo ( on deck ), before the main ammo was supplied?

if there is proof of this box being of land force use I would like to hear it, because it could then ( sadly ) leave my collection.